• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Being a good neighbor on the ice.

I too don't care for people crowding me while fishing when there is plenty of open space elsewhere, but it is public out there. I have done the move several hundreds yards from the crowd only to have someone come a little too close for comfort. But it is public and the rules are at least 10 feet.

If someone comes from and area that tends to get real crowded, close to you would seem far to them.

You haven't seen crowded fishing unless you fished the North Shore of Lake Superior in the fall for Kings in the 80s, now that was crowded! smile.gif

Remember fishing and hunting are supposed to be fun, enjoy the company if they are that close.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The accounts we have presented of unethical outdoor behaviour are clssic examples of an ages old religion-relativism. That is to say "I'll do whay I want" instead of whats right. This is manifested in envy,"If I can't catch fish I'll see to it that others don't as well", or "If I can't get that trophy buck I'll scare it away so nobody does". Also sloth,"Why should I do the leg work to find fish when I can crowd those that have" or "Why should I pre-season scout, cut paths and lanes, or hang stands when I can parasitize the efforts of those who have".
When the mores, values, and ethics of the "Good Book" are not taught or ignored, relativism will always fill the vaccum-always.

There is one perspective no one has mentioned. It applies to hunting as well as fishing. Our lakes and woods have been here long before any of us. I have had locations on lakes and in the woods that I have located by hard work. They are perrenial and don't require a lot of subsequent scouting. There won't be any indication that I am going to hunt or fish there. Then one year I go to put up my portable stand or drill my hole and Dang! someone put up a house or hardshanty right in the spot I have been using for years. Then he gets [PoorWordUsage]ed at ME for intruding on HIS hot spot HE has spent so much time finding and scouting. This has happened to me many times. The world is growing in population but each of us thinks he has found the one spot no one else knows about. Yes there are people out there that have absolutely no consideration. But in all fairness we need to look at the situation objectively as we could be the one infringing unknowingly. Levelheaded communication can resolve a lot of it. Some will never be resolved because at least some of the people involved don't care. Just my point of view.

Lip Ripper,
I have known you for 7 years and we have hunted and fished together all those years. You are 100% right that we do not own spots and we might be actually fishing somone else's spot too. Being considerate like you said is the key. I know you have shown me fishing spots that I do not go and fish because I feel that is not the right thing to do without you. Many other people we know would blab a fishing spot and everyone would know where it is at. I think that many of us on this forum are level headed and always are considerate of others. I know I "claim that area by my deer stand and claim that smallmouth bass fishing spot I have back home" but I do not own it. Every year these turf battles are going to be a common everyday thing. I agree with you we need to be considerate and look at all points of view in any situation involving hunting or fishing spots.

Lip RIPPER! confused.gif ???????? Lipripper ?????? confused.gif
OH NO TWO!!!!!!!! Thought one was enough but now what? confused.gif
One is close to me and the other is from Mi.
Oh well have fun on here and keep the info. coming on here for us poor souls who don’t have time to FISH.
grin.gif “FISH” grin.gif
www.icesaws.com

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/