• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Definitely not the best I've seen, but I have a crutch. tongue.gif

I was in a boat on a choppy lake. The thing I don't understand is why the red of the eye didn't show up in these photos. The exposure looks close enough IMO, and I played with the levels and still couldn't find the red. Maybe this one uses visine. grin.gif However, I added a bonus. This is a 15 second so so video of him, I assume trying to court the female not too far away? I love the sound they make. 581435778_df8d558ff6_o.jpg581435768_191e9ac763_o.jpg581435760_9580c7e547_o.jpg581435752_21c0f3c51f_o.jpg581435740_1f8a454ed5_o.jpg

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/mnscroller/?action=view&current=P1000460.flv

I'll take a crack at itsince I had similar problems with Chickadees this past winter. I'd have to guess that the pictures were taken during a bright, mid-day sun. With that light, it is very difficult to get a proper exposure with a scene with such a large dynamic range. The photos as a whole may appear to be properly exposed, but the loon itself is underexposed. If you were to expose for just dark parts of the loon, the rest of the photo blows out. If you had the option of using an external flash, that would help bring out the details in the loon, while not affecting the background. Otherwise, wait for more favorable light conditions. Tough bird to photograph in tough light conditions...so how was the fishing? grin.gif

Well, the pictures were taken at about 11:15 AM, with the sun shining brightly. The loon may be a bit underexposed. When I study his head, I can see details in the black though. However, However, it might be just a tad too much so as to make the eye too dark so it blends in. You suggested to wait for the proper lighting. Heck, I was there to fish. This was just a lucky happening. A couple of these were my best loon shots ever. My only disappointment on a couple of these is the absence of the red eye. I guess I could cheat and add it in myself. wink.gif The fishing was pretty decent until the wind went down and decided to change directions. It seems like everytime the wind changes, the fish take a nap. It's frustrating, but the loon was a bonus. 583525387_a6d968c96f_o.jpg

MM, red-eye reduction is only a function that applies when the flash is on, which I'm sure you know, you joker. grin.gif

XT, you can fish or you can shoot. Problem is, the best lighting also happens, generally, during the best fishing. Here, the lighting was horrible. I hope the fishing was better. grin.gif

Seriously, I have people asking me all the time to critique their images. In almost all the images, the problem isn't operator or equipement error. It's light error.

In other words, I tell them, don't trip the shutter until the light is right. I understand you were there for other things and the loon was a bonus. But you don't have a red eye in most of these images because the eye is in shadow and there's virtually no light striking it.

Quote:

MM, red-eye reduction is only a function that applies when the flash is on, which I'm sure you know, you joker.
grin.gif

But you don't have a red eye in most of these images because the eye is in shadow and there's virtually no light striking it.

MM, if that wasn't meant as a joke, you better reread your camera manual. grin.gif

Steve, your answer is so danged obvious. Of course, the sun was behind the loon, so no light, no color. Black doesn't need light, colors do. What I should have done was, circled around to the other side of him so I could shoot with the light at my back, instead of his. It would've probably still been harsh lighting but at least I would have got my red eye. Thanks for the simple solution.