• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tracker tundra 21

I have not seen this boats out on the water like i have in years past. I was talking to a few people about them, and they were saying tha tthey are a weird rid in the water. I personaly, was never in one before.

If this is worth anything…the only people I see fishing in them are those who are sponsored by Tracker, or those who have ties with Bass Pro Shops.

Also I heard a rumor that last year or maybe it was in 05 on Saginaw bay the PWT had 2 of them that the stern cracked bad and one was so bad it had to be towed in. But it was rough and I know one Ranger that had a minor stress fracture on the stern. They said they where trying to fish in 8-10 feet waves.

Hiya -

I run an 18' Tundra. Have since 2004. I love the thing. I'm no longer sponsored by Tracker - but I kept the boat even after I let my contract expire.

The 21 footers DID have a couple of problems in some early run hulls from 2005. Mainly it was the guys who were putting 200 and 250 Verados on them. The transoms just weren't built for a motor that heavy (neither were the transoms on some other boat brands though - Tracker wasn't the only one with stringer issues with the Verados).

Here's the bottom line with the Tundra - and I have nothing to gain promoting them... They're the best riding rough water hull out there. In big waves nothing can catch them. Ask some of the PWT guys, and they'll agree. They're better riding than most of the glass hulls, and nothing in aluminum can touch them. Period. Part of the reason for that is the way the hull is formed. The front end is a dart, so it cuts waves rather than flopping through them. The other thing is how the hull rides. Someone mentioned that they sort of ride weird - they do ride different than other hulls I've owned. It took a little getting used to. When you go up on plane in a Tundra, the bow doesn't come up before the hull settles down on the pad. The boat just sort of lifts up, and the whole hull runs very flat to the water. The result is that the boat planes at very low speeds. I can keep my boat on plane and under control at 22 mph, rather than plowing water, which is a huge deal in rough water (nobody runs 55 mph in 4 footers...).

From a fishability standpoint, the Tundra's very nice to fish out of. Tons of storage (amazing amount of storage for an 18 foot boat frankly), tracks very well trolling, and doesn't blow around much. The hull's heavy enough to keep it nailed down when you're fishing in a crosswind.

Personally I prefer the 18 foot Tundras to the 21s. Frankly I think the 18s are a drier ride. Note too that as far as issues with the hulls go, ALL of them have been with the 21 footer. The 18s have been trouble free since they came out. Part of why I'm not with Tracker anymore is they wanted me to run a 21 footer, and I didn't want a boat that big (or a gas tank that big shocked.gif). But since mid-year of 2005, the Tundras have been fine - even the 21s.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm