• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nikon D40

Hi Guys,

I consider myself a very novice photographer (and I use that term very lightly). I currently have a Nikon 5300 point and shoot. My wife has given me the green light to purchase an early Father's Day gift for myself, and I'd like to take the leap into the world of digital SLR.

Steve, in reading many similar posts, you frequently ask the primary "needs" question of the poster. I'm planning on using this camera for pretty basic stuff...mostly family related. I really like the continuous shooting option (2.5 fps) vs. the annoying delay in most point and shoot cameras. I have two small children and "capturing the moment" up to this point has been pure luck, especially with the little one. I'll also be using it for family events and vacations. I may even try and tap into my creative side and try my hand at wildlife, flowers, etc....who knows? I might even get lucky enough to snap an image or two worth posting!

This camera fits within my "allowance" and from the countless reviews I've read, most that have purchased it recently have given it very good marks - it's size, user-friendly menus, features, etc. when comparing it to similar models (D50 and D80 mostly) Once of the only drawbacks I've found is that it's not AF compatible with older lenses. This isn't a problem to me since I don't have any other lenses.

As far as megapixels go, this also seems to fit the bill. 6.1 should be more than enough for my needs, as I doubt I'll be making anything larger than 8x10. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the basic difference between the D40 and the D40x is this feature. D40 is 6.1 and the D40x is 10.2.

So my question is feedback related. Have any of you had any hands on experience with this camera and what are your thoughts, good and bad? I guess I'm looking for con's more than anything with all the good feedback I've found so far.

Thanks much!

Eckie I think you are going to love going to DSLR. All the reasons you stated are about the same ones that made me buy one and I will never go back to a P&S. If you keep your equipment is in good shape it will hold its value if you decide to upgrade in the near future and get the next model up.Make sure to share some of those photos grin.gif