• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Instructions for a Bitzenburg fletching jig

caj99

i don't know of a web site, but can give you some pointers.

the feathers/vanes fit in the clamp with the base just sticking out.there should be some kind of a mark in the clamp as to where the back end of the vane is to be located. ( if not, use a arrow that is fletched to find the distance from the nock to the back of the vane, and put a pencil mark on the clamp) if you are using arrows that the nocks rotate , where the cock feather( the odd color compared to the two!)as you will be able to rotate to the style type of rest you are using.( if the nocks are gued, ; there is a flat spot on the knob. this is the location of the cock feather.)if you are refletching arrows, you need to cut/scrape off the old ones, and clean the shafts. if new shafts, they need to be cleaned using alcohol or something fisrt.place the nock into the slot . then put a feather into your clamp, and set it on the arrow, against the magnet to see if the feather is lined up on the shaft.if so, then slide the clamp off the jig and run a bead of glue on the base of the vane.( don't over do this, and try to keep a constant bead, with no gaps!) now set the vane back onto the jig and arrow.if things look good, leave alone for 15-20 minutes for the glue to set. then carefully open the clamp and slide it off the arrow. rotate the shaft, and repeat the process until you have all three on.then carefully remove the arrow from the jig.( i also put a bead of glue in front and at the back of each vane) let dry/cure over night. you may not get the perfect results at first as it does take a little practice, but it's not hard. del

I may still have the instructions for mine. I'll take a look this evening after work.

I wouldn't start fletching until you have a copy. There is some adjusting that is required for different size arrows. Plus you have to have the correct feather for the type of machine you have, that is if your using feathers. I'll have to check around work here to see if we have a working scanner. Otherwise, I could make a copy and snail mail them to you.

You need a left or right clamp for helical fletchings. There is also a straight clamp. This clamp will allow you to do a straight fletch with or without an offset.

clamp1.gif

One clamp comes with each jig, but you can buy the other clamps separately. Take a look at your clamp. It should say left, right, or straight.

Honestly I don't know if there is any difference between a left or right helical fletch. The pro shop near my house only carried left wing feathers so I bought a jig with a left helical clamp. Which is important to know if your fletching with feathers. Now I use Duravanes and it doesn't matter which clamp you use with vanes.