• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor questions

Instead of fixing up our 5 hp Johnson Seahorse, hubby decided to look for an electric trolling motor instead. We have a 12' aluminum row boat. (Some areas we fish are electric motor only, which is why he decided to go that route.)

Questions - what size trolling motor would work, and how expensive are they? Is one brand better for this application than another? How big should the motor be (how many pounds thrust)?

Any other advise would be appreciated!

I have 2 minkotas,an older one with 18 lbs thrust it works great if its not too breezey so I bought a minnkota 30 lbs thrust for $109.00 for me it works better than the old one.However the newer models(which I wish I'd have bought)cost a bit more but they have a variable speed and it saves battery juice,look em up on line.

Quote:

Instead of fixing up our 5 hp Johnson Seahorse, hubby decided to look for an electric trolling motor instead. We have a 12' aluminum row boat. (Some areas we fish are electric motor only, which is why he decided to go that route.)

Questions - what size trolling motor would work, and how expensive are they? Is one brand better for this application than another? How big should the motor be (how many pounds thrust)?

Any other advise would be appreciated!

It all depends on how fast you want to go, how quickly you want to get up to speed, and how much $$$ you want to spend.

First off, unless you get a real high thrust motor with a custom pitch prop, you will most likely not see over 7mph with any electric trolling motor.

A 30lb thrust will move the boat along in most any conditions you may encounter with ease. Being the main propulsion for the boat, you may want to look at spending the extra $$$ for a Minnkota Maxxum 40lb thrust motor. The reason for the suggestion is, they come with Minnkota's digital maximizer. The maximizer helps conserve/not waste battery charge when not being used at higher speeds. This will keep you out on the water longer, with a stronger battery.

IMO, a good arguement can be made for both getting a small, low thrust motor, and a large higher thrust motor, it all depends on what you expect out of the motor, and how much your willing to spend. IMO though, I don't see buying a motor over 55lb thrust worthwhile. Good luck.