• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

outboard tiller preferences

B@ssmaster

I am ready to buy my first new rig. It will be equipped with a 60hp tiller outboard. Been researching the brands, I have seen lots of discussions on Suzuki vs Merc vs Yamaha and they all tend to focus on general robustness, fuel efficiency, etc, but one thing I have never heard mentioned is people's opionions on the tiller handles that are now available. (The only tiller motor I have ever owned is a 1970 Merc 20 hp). They all seem to contain a lot of features nowdays, and have a lot of ergonomic improvements. Any thoughts/preferences? Is any one brand's tiller design significantly better than the other or does it come down to personal preferences? I realize that this is a minor component with respect to all the other factors to weigh, but I am just curious. (I am strongly leaning towards a Suzuki due to a really nice deal I can get on one.........)

Thanks,

Bassmaster

I got a 90HP Yamaha with the multi-function tiller handle and it's pretty nice. I can't say that I've compared handles on different brands to say its better or not, but I like it so far in the short amount of time I've been running it. The key is on the "driver's" side and the integrated Variable Trolling Speed buttons are on top of the handle behind the grip and is very slick! The trim switch is also on the handle and easy to operate while running.

The VTS will increase or decrease the idle speed of the engine in 50 RPM increments to help fine tune the trolling speed. At normal idle while in gear it runs at 800 RPM and I can get it down to 600 RPM which equals about 1.9 mph in flat calm water. Going the other way will get me up to 3.5 mph. The motor sounds like it's going to quit, but it still chugs along relatively smoothly and trolls right down. Being a troller, it is the main reason for getting this engine besides the fact of Yamaha's service record in the 4-stroke market. I have a 4-blade prop and have read of even lower trolling speeds with different props.