• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV- pulling

RussDaBuss

This might be a dumb question BUT--- I have a Honda Rubicon 2003. I have pulled various things with it, but nothing real heavy on the tongue end. I want to pull my boat around at certain times.. It is not real heavy, 16-1/2', 40 HP motor, 20 gallon gas tank. Not sure on tongue weight but I would say around 175 lbs..??

Thanks

Not a dumb question at all. Read the towing capacity in your owners manual. Although, plenty, and I mean PLENTY, me included, tow more than that capacity. I move my Trophy 170 with 90HP around every year when storing and unstoring it. For the Rubicon, I would use the ESP shift mode and use 1st gear, however. For the record, I'm stating you're on your own but, a small boat like that shouldn't be much problem to tow around.

I'm sure some hitches may have broke due to high tongue load but, I really think you'll be okay. Also, check your brakes and be careful if you're towing your boat downhill smirk.gif

Last Saturday I took my 500 Sportsman to the Little League fields for cleanup day thinking that I would go around and pickup the leaves and debris. The first person I see asks if I would haul dirt for the infields. I used my trailer and hauled one bobcat bucket no problem. Then two buckets, a little tougher and the trailer tires rubbed on the fenders. They then asked if I would pull the dump trailer. I figured what the heck. 6 hours later and about 10 ton of dirt, my ride is back home and taking the week off. I don't want to know what the tongue weight was but there was little suspension left. I had a hell of a time turning because the front was barely touching. Kept it in low range, and played it cool and no problems. I'll probably take her in for a fluid change after this weekend.

jUST AN FYI-- THEY DO MAKE A BRACKET TO PUT BETWEEN THE 2 A ARMS ON THE REAR OF INDEPENDANT MACHINES TO KEEP THE REAR FROM "SAGGING" WHEN HAULING HEAVY LOADS. i HAVE 1 FOR MY SPORTSMAN AND IT WORKS GREAT. THE DOWNSIDE IS YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY SUSPENSION WHEN THIS IS ON.

I copied one that my buddy bought when he got a 3-point hitch setup for his quad. I think his original one was about $30.00. I fabricated mine out of 1/4 x 1 flat steel and a welder. Basically it has a short bracket that bolts to the bottom of each rear lower a-frame and a long bracket that runs between them under the rear gearcase with removable pins so you can remove it or install it very quickly. I think several of the ATV accessory companies make these or they are simple to make if you have a welder and a drill. I use mine whenever I pull my wheeled fishhouse or anything with much weight to it.

I made a "bracket" 4 my SP700.

1 link of chain,

2 grade 8 bolts

2 lock nuts

some large washers

slide the bolt up through the holes in the bottom of the lower a-fraim anb bolted them in place. Has worked great for me so far.

Got a Glock on the bedside table.

a machine gun leaning by the bedroom door.

Kevlar vest in the closet

Well, I wear it when I go to the store

Firemedic is that warren

Rottweiler Blues

written by Warren Zevon and Carl Hiaasen

1995 Zevon Music BMI

Got a Glock in the bedside table

Machine gun leaning by the bedroom door

Kevlar vest in the closet

Well, I wear it when I go to the store

Shadows on the window

Rustling in the hedge