• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Boat prices

slotlimit

I'm currently in the market for a new boat. I currently have a 1996 Sylvan 17ft. It has the full windshield with curved glass. It has a 90 johnson and a shorelander trailer. The boat has been excelent with no problems ever. I just feel it's time to upgrade but I'm having second thoughts. I baught this boat new for $18,000. I went to the same dealer and looked at the same boat new with a 115 e-tec. The price was $28,000. Why such a large increase in price? So I'm thinking of looking at newer used.

Slotlimit - I noticed the price of aluminum boats has dramatically increased as well. A couple years ago I was at the boat show and jumped in that years('06 I think) of Crestliner SF (I have an '02). I wanted to see what had changed over the past 3 years. Well, the boat hadn't changed much but the price sure did. It was up $7-8k from what I paid in '02. The sales guy told me it was due to an increase in production costs which was due to an increase in the cost of petroleum. In my ignorant mind it makes sense but I'm not sure if it's true. I also noticed that the price of glass boats did not increase as dramatically. Something to think about I guess.

--Tim

One reason prices have dramatically increased is cost of Aluminum.

We reached record highs since China is buying all they can and there's shortage.

Also many newer features are included in boat, you probably didn't have as many "gadgets" as current models.

Finally this is the worse time of the year to buy a boat, open season is here and prices don't get discounted much.

Thanks again for the response. I'm also going to take your advise on that used boat I was looking at. I have never seen you give a bad piece of advise. I think I'll wait until next fall to start looking again. That new Sylvan also had about the same "gadgets" I got with my current Sylvan. But yes the price of aluminum has gone up. I'm not sure if it's the same grade of material in aluminum cans as it is in boats but you would think a case of pop would be about $10 then.

Ohh, don't worry I do give bad piece of advise too sometimes, we are not all good. There's only one up there...and I don't even come close.

Anyway, aluminum price has gone so high there are numerous reports of stolen boats to be found at recycling centers.

I took 2 hulls last winter to Gopher state, they took my DL info to be sure they weren't stolen. I showed my dealer license too and business card and we all laughed at the actual situation.

Waiting until fall will give you better leverage when dealing.

Yep aluminum has gone up, especially over the past few years. The prices of brass and especially copper has increased tremendously as well as other metals and alloys. There are hundreds if not thousands of grades of aluminum. For boats 5000 series aluminum (Marine Grade) is used. Alum cans are made out of a softer different series aluminum than our boats so it can be formed and shaped easier.

You could always put in new carpet, give the boat another paintjob w/decals and tune-up the motor and it will be like you have a new boat. grin.gif

In 2001 my 17 Mr. Pike w/130 cost $22,000, now the same setup would be over $30k. crazy.gif

Quote:

You could always put in new carpet, give the boat another paintjob w/decals and tune-up the motor and it will be like you have a new boat.
grin.gif

In 2001 my 17 Mr. Pike w/130 cost $22,000, now the same setup would be over $30k.
crazy.gif

The thing is nothing needs to be fixed or tuned up. The only thing I would have any vise abot is the seats. I wish they were built a little stronger. Some of the guys I take fishing are a little on the hefty size. Anything on a new boat I could probably install on this boat. I don't have an onboard charger which I could install, but it isn't that hard to hook the battery charger up. The 2 things I would really like are the onboard charger, and the new style of rod storage. I could really care less the brand be it a lund, sylvan, crestliner, alumacraft, as long as it is in that category.

The other thing that has contributed to higher prices besides of the price of metals is the engine itself. These engines are a breed of another cat compared to those that were out just 10 years ago.....four-strokes, super efficient 2-strokes, computer controlled, etc, etc.

Most of the price increase is greed. Merc and Yamaha have been "technology partners" for years. Brunswick owns Merc. Between Brunswick and Yamaha, they own most of the companies selling fishing boats and motors. They have what is known as a Monopoly on the market right now. This is why Lunds, Lowe, Trackers, Skeeters, ect... are so crazy priced, and why Alumacrafts, and other small independents have not had quite the price increases the other boats have seen. An Alumacraft classic boat has only gone up about $450 becouse of material and labor costs, but as a "package", the price has gone up more becouse of the price of the motor. This is also why they can offer the Classic $12,999 boat package. Becouse they can get the 50hp Yamaha 2 strokes cheeeeeeeep. It's $2000 more if you want to upgrade to a 60hp 4-stroke!!! IMO, the most over priced product on the market today (any market), is an outboard motor (pick-up trucks are a close second)and yes, I took gasoline into consideration. The cost of an outboard motor far exceeds it's value.

You are absolutely right! Outboard motor prices are absurd! But its like everything else-ownership is slowly slipping into a very FEW hands, in that industry and others, and when they OWN all the marbles they can make ALL the rules. Get used to it fellas, there's more coming. In the meantime if you own a nice boat take care of it and keep it's appearence up. Heck, I figure I'll be able to sell my boat in a few years for what I PAID for it! smirk.gif

Quote:

In the meantime if you own a nice boat take care of it and keep it's appearence up. Heck, I figure I'll be able to sell my boat in a few years for what I PAID for it!
smirk.gif

LOL laugh.gif - you can use that as justification to the boss as to why you need a new boat.