• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What did I find underneath my motor?

Dragonsm

Another outboard question (1998 50 hp Evinrude 2 stroke with t/t)

This evening when I was out in the garage, I noticed there was a small puddle underneath my motor's skeg. I had recently fired up my motor for the first time this year and thought it might just be some water that ran out of the motor. However, when I stuck my finger's down in it to make sure it wasn't lower unit fluid, I figure out what it was....

It was a small puddle (not sure if that is a good word or not) of "bearing/axle" grease from some place in my motor. There are a few zirks (or however you spell them) on my motor's pivot points. It looks as though it ran down the skeg so it must have ran out somwhere down by the prop exit.

What do I have?!?!? Bad seal someplace? or are there other places in this motor that have "axle" grease? Way's to check? and could this possibly be an easier fix?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

I had the same thing under my motor this spring after starting it on the muffs. It's a dark oil, right? It Shouldn't be as thick as grease? if it is I don't know what it would be...

Anyways, my small dripping was from the exhaust. It dripped down right in front of the prop and down the skeg. I was a little worried as well, but after inspecting everything on my lower unit, it had to be some exhaust oil or residue that got flushed out while I ran the motor.

If it's not lower unit oil, don't worry.

Well, I got the trouble light out and removed my prop. It looked to have ran down my exhaust area. The entire puddle wasn't all oil/grease...some of it was water. However, what I did find was thicker like grease. It may have just been "excess" from my pivot points or from my prop?!?

At least it isn't lower unit oil. crazy.gif

I really doubt it's grease from the pivot locations that have grease zerks on them.

It sounds to me (as long as you're certain it's not gear lube) like it's just a puddle from the exhaust (w/unburned gas, fogging mixture, etc).

If you're still concerned about it check your lower unit oil after the next time you're out and see if it's milky... then you'll know if you have problems or not.

marine_man