• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Campion nodding in gentle light

I've decided to make a strong point of shooting wildflowers this coming spring and summer. Last summer was so helter-skelter I didn't get out to do that much, and I really miss it.

So I was looking back through last summer's archives when I came on one I totally overlooked the first time around. It leapt out at me this morning. No telling why I didn't mark it last summer. confused.gif

I shot this while out with a photo excursion client along the trail near Jeanette Lake, way out the Echo Trail from Ely.

Canon 20D, Canon 100-400L IS at 400mm, iso400, 1/200 at f8, center-weighted metering at -1/3 exposure compensation, handheld, selective sharpening on buds/flowers in Photoshop

mystery-flower.jpg

nice Steve!.I'm certainly planning on doing the very same thing.......more macros!....I've always enjoyed em !....I was out on the "trails" this past weekend(butterfly thing) and found it a little early for any "flora" yet but this year I plan on watching the areas plant life "emerge" and get some hopefully unique images...can hardly wait! grin.gif

Very nice Steve. What kind of plant is that? I'm surprised you could obtain that narrow of DOF with that small an aperture. It almost appears to be a painted background. I certainly prefer to view this type of flora shot rather than the over photographed common flowers.

Whoops, just reread the title. I've never heard of campion.

Thanks guys.

XT, DOF varies depending on how close to the subject you are. At 400mm and f8, the DOF in a distant shot is much deeper than close-up work. Even at f8, a 400mm lens will only give you a DOF of at most a couple inches with the subject a few feet away.

That's one reason why we see a lot of close images of small birds with supertelephotos that aren't properly focused. Many people focus on the breast of a bird facing them, or on the wing/sides of a bird facing slightly away, and at those razor thin DOFs, the head/eye, which is generally the most important focal point, is slightly OOF.

Love it Steve!

I'm glad to see that the 100-400 can produce such nice macro images. It is tack sharp through the focal range. I'm going to have to start calling you the human tripod. You repeatedly post beautifully sharp images handheld.

Thanks, Micheal. I've got the extension tubes for the first time for shooting this summer, too, all three of them, so I'll be able to focus down to about two feet instead of a bit under six feet. That's approaching true macro capability. Stacking all three tubes and the 17-40L set on 40mm also lets you focus down to within an inch or so, and my experiments on shooting words on a printed page show that combo delivers a true 1:1 ratio. Too close a working distance to bees and such, but fine with the flowers themselves.

It's amazing what IS can do when you're laying prone on the ground and simply rest rest your clenched fist on the ground and the lens on top of the fist. Of course, it REALLY helps to have no wind, which was the case with this image. grin.gif

Nice Steve good to see that the flowers are coming out up north. Do appreciate you posting the specs also.

Finally congrats on the Outdoor News cover, that is a great eye level (or below?) shot of two honkers that appear not to know whether to eat or squawk!

Nice Steve-my kinda stuff. I posted a note about my new tripod last night but I guess the head vampire didn't like it and whisked it away. You were right-it is a great little unit for the money. Thanks for the tip. shocked.gif