• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Set-up for Carp

I was out on Minnetonka today and saw a bunch of carp sunning themselves in shallow water. I've never targeted them before (w/ rod 'n reel), but I think I want to tie into one of them. I know they are extremely powerful.

When they are in shallow are they open to biting or are they more interested in the warm water and the sun?

I'm guessing that a bobber/splitspot/small hook w/ corn on it should do the trick?

Any tips on catching spring carp is appreciated.

DB

Ya think so? I always thought corn was a summer bait. Current seems to take it off. We had good luck last weekend with crawlers. I would give corn a try, but just have'nt had good luck this time of year with it. I forgot who I heard it from on this site, but if you cook it before you use it. It stays on hook longer.

just caught my first ever carp today. bout a 8 lb.er on pool 2. big fat crawler was used. also got into my first channel of the year. bout an 10 incher is all but also on a crawler, and some sheepies too. wish i had more than my cell camera on me to picture my first.

Whole Kernal sweet corn. No need to cook it. I've caught several carp March - Nov on it.

Crawlers will work, but might not be as effective as corn. Corn seems to get carp into a feeding frenzy more than crawlers.

If the water is shallow, you might be only able to catch 1, then you'll have to wait a bit till things settle again.

I've been doing great on corn. Just put it on a lindy rig w/ a circle hook. it takes some patience sometimes, though. Just pay attention. this time of year most of your hits are gonna be pretty light. It seems like line size is really making a difference right now. I've been using 6lb and it seems i'm outfishing my bud who uses 12lb about 3-1