• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1998 Evinrude 50hp oil injection question

Dragonsm

I have a 1998 Evinrude 50 hp (2 cylinder model- Post VRO) oil injection motor on my boat that has been a great motor. Over the winter, the external oil tank cracked and seeped oil throughout the rear of my boat. Looking at how it was hooked up, the hose ran directly to the motor from the oil tank and the separate cable/wire was just wrapped up and tucked behind the tank. The cost of the oil tanks aren't cheap (at least they are more expensive than I expected) and before I buy one....I thought I would seek some opinions.

I am guessing since the wires weren't hooked up to the motor, there is really no low oil injection warning system (either that or the dealership was just to lazy to hook it up)I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood) but would I be better off just disconnecting the oil injection hose and moving to a pre-mix and have one less worry or should I go ahead and spend the money and get a new tank. I did contact a few local dealers for answers...one said they would go to pre-mix....another said they'd replace the tank and if the motor ever blew up...then look at going to a premix (the last answer did not make me comfortable in the least bit).

Advantages? Disadvantages? I have external 6 gallon tanks so mixing isn't that tough.

If disconnecting is the way I should go...what do I need to do to the motor? Just plug the oil hose? Buy special plate?

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Had a 1993 40hp Evinrude (Same as your 50hp) for 8years from new ran the hell out of it WOT all the time never had one problem with anything. If it was me I would get a new tank and MAKE SURE the oil warning siren works. All the years I have never had a problem with the oil injection on any of my motors. If you want to pre-mix go ahead but if you maintain your boat and motor and make sure everything works you will have no problems.

I am not sure if this helps or not, but I pulled the model # off of the motor.

Evinrude 1998 50 hp model

E50TSLECC (Model #)

I went to BRP's parts diagram page and tried every combination under the sun for alarm warning system and couldn't come up with anything. Maybe my motor doesn't have it? (Valv or any other motor guru....if it isn't to hard would you mind confirming or denying that if you can?)

The other question I have is...how does the oil injection units work. Do they just constantly inject oil in the same amount or does the amount vary from idle to WOT?

Your buzzer (which, since it's not VRO is likely just a low oil alert based on the float position in the tank) is either in the control box (if you have a side control box, or behind the flush mount control box) or in the tiller handle.

I believe, and am kind of throwing a half guess out there on this one, is that if it's the post VRO version that it's not a variable rate oil injection like the VRO's had... just a constant rate oil injection and not at all dependent upon engine speed.

Valv - can you back me up here?

marine_man

Sorry I've got side tracked today....

Anyway I have a tank for you I still have to check if it's a System Check.

I am not sure about alarm, I don't know if your motor has provision for it. I believe newer oil pumps have a variable rate, very minimal at idle and higher at full throttle.

If you feel uncomfortable with injection you can pre-mix since you are carbed and it won't hurt anything, except you have to haul and mix your fuel at resorts, campgrounds, etc if you stay for a long period

I took a few pictures of the motor and figured these would probably tell exactly what I had rather than my vague descriptions.

First picture is of the "fuel pump area" To the trained eye, they'd probably be able to tell if it is a VRO or not.

Second picture is of a plug (lower right) I found near the rear of the motor while digging around trying to find a place for the oil tank to plug into. It was a "six pin" style plug with only five pins actually...and 4 wires attached...make sense? Wondering what that is for.

Maybe even tell me if I have "system check" or what this motors "alarm" for low oil is. confused.gif

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/dragonsm/Motor/IMG_0448.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/dragonsm/Motor/IMG_0447.jpg

A big thanks in advance!