• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it necessary to ?

Diago

I have two Polaris snowmobiles that I will store in a shed. Is it necessary to prop up the back so the track does not have any weight on it?

Thanks for the advise

Jim

Really if the sled is on a hard surface, not dirt, it should be fine not proped up. You don't want the track clips rusting from the ground moisture. On a trailer or pavement should not hurt any thing on the track.

If it has deep lugs like a powder track you for sure want to take the weight off those which is another good reason to prop it up. You also take the weight off the suspension which over time will make a difference. The track clips rusting is another good reason to do it.

What reason is there not to do it???

Quote:

I have two Polaris snowmobiles that I will store in a shed. Is it necessary to prop up the back so the track does not have any weight on it?

Thanks for the advise

Jim

The best way to store them is to set a milk crate or box of some sort under the belly of the sled, so the sled is completely off the ground. Then, back off all the springs. To be real picky about it, you would pull the shocks/springs and have the shocks rebuilt and then re install them in the fall. As already stated, the only time you NEED to raise the skid off the ground is when you either store the sled outside in the dirt, or have a tall lug track so the lugs don't "set" deformed.

A long time ago(early 1980's), a guy told me that the reason to prop up the back of a snowmobile up was to prevent the springs from getting tired and the oil in the shocks form running out. Since the suspensions and shocks have advanced quite a bit since them, I doubt that it is necessary to prop one up. I haven't proped a sled up for 15 years and have never seen a negative effect on any of the sleds I've owned.

Every reliable snowmobile winter storage checklist I have ever seen in magazines, owners manuals or searched on the internet includes a checkoff similar to "Elevate and safely support machine with track and skis off the ground to minimize spring fatigue"

Could they all be wrong ?? confused.gif

If you have the equipment tostore it off the ground i would do it. Several reasons to store the sled w/o any weight on the suspension: Springs will take a set. It happens so slowly, you will not notice it over time. I replace my clutch springs every season and every time, i can measure the set the spring has taken. If you prop the rear only, this puts more pressure on the front suspension, best to support the full sled. Your not only putting weight on the springs, your also loading the shock which is compressing the nitrogen gas and places unneeded stress on the seals in the shocks. In that past, i have stored my sleds on a stand and removed the spring tension. Spray the track clips with WD/40 if your concerned about the rust. It's no different then the rust that forms on your brake rotor when the machine sits for a month. The rust is gone after a ride. Tracks can also rot/weather faster if in contact with a moist floor or concrete. I didn't look at the date this post was started, but i'll be pulling my sled out of storage in about a month to get 'er ready for the season! Think Snow!!!!