• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it the Law? Trailor lighting, bottom 3-red led's

Caleb

I got a questions here. I'm debating with a coworker that I have never been stopped before for not having a 3-red led on the trailor. I believe they are the 3 red lights on the back of the boat trailer that located on the bottom side. Is it required by to law to have them on every trailor? I've never had them on my boat trailor. Coworker has a boat trailor and he thought it was required so he bought a 3 light package and put it on, not to mention cost him 60bucks.

Heres a story;I got stoped by a Minn. trooper no trailor lights.He told me to stay in town (Litchfield)5AM till it was light.No lights are required durning daylight for trailors.As long as my vehicle lights are exposed.

Thanks bobby, that was what i thought. He keeps telling me they are required. I told him that its not, but I dont' know the law by the book. Although I have never been stopped, and on my boat with the transom saver, I don't know where those three lights would go. Anyways, you only see those 3 lights on 25% of the boat trailers anyways, only larger boat trailers have them on. Thanks!

Quote:

Heres a story;I got stoped by a Minn. trooper no trailor lights.He told me to stay in town (Litchfield)5AM till it was light.No lights are required durning daylight for trailors.As long as my vehicle lights are exposed.

Interesting, as MN requires working trailer lights which would include brake lights, Think he was just giving you a break that day. I spend almost everyday in the summer pulling a boat trailer or a work trailer and have been inspected a few times, never heard that one smirk.gif

You must have working lights on any and every trailer. Trailers over the 80" wide mark need the three lights. If the trailer is big enough, or can carry enough weight it will have to have brakes. I don't know just what the weight requirement is for that.

You were lucky if stopped and not ticketed for no lights.

Most law enforcement will issue a fix it ticket. Trailer lights are such a pain it the butt. No doubt they are needed but it always seems like they cause problems. I got a new boat last year I think that after my first trip I had a trailer light burn out. I always say that if I can keep one of my trailer lights running I am doing pretty good grin.gif.

From page 48 of the Minnesota Boating Guide;

"Two red taillights, license plate light and two red reflectors are required on all trailers. Signal and brake lights are RECOMMENDED on all trailers and required at night OR whenever the signal of the towing vehicle is not visible to other drivers. Larger trailers also require clearance and/ or marker lights."

Brakes are required for trailers 3,000lbs or more gross weight.