• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

directions to a pier

A couple of years ago a great friend brought me down there to show me what real panfish looked like! Man was I hooked! Hopefully if the weather heats up I will be showing some little boys what real panfish look like and fight like! He took me to a wooden pier on either Okaboji or Spirit that was right in front of a big marina, I think. All I remember was a lot of boats, and big boats passing under the pier.

Was wondering if someone could let me know where that was. I am coming down from Mankato, bringing at least two boys around 7 years old that havent had a whole lot of exposure to the fishing thing. I would love to get them hooked! If the ol' mother nature gets to warming up we'll be down there April 21 or 22. If that pier isnt a hot spot anybody have some other recommendations to get the little guys hooked?

Thanks for the info and help (in advance)!

the pier your looking for is right off of hwy 71 in between spirit lake and arnolds park.if you come from spirit lake going south it will be on your left as you cross the bridge going into arnolds park.

The fishin pretty good on the pier. Its a bike trail pathway now, but there are several pier areas you can try.

There is also a new fishing pier up on the grade, on the north end of Big Spirit, if the fish dont cooperate at the Okoboji pier. Waters running in fast, from Minnesota, so the fish shuldnt be far behind. Just need some nicer weather!

Dont forget to take the youngsters to the Fish hatchery while youre down here. It should be going full bore, by then. Its something they, (and you) wont forget. Its open 24/7 thru the milking/hatching season.

definately check out the hatchery, laugh.gif it is located at the north end of east okoboji. the spillway that flow out of spirit into east should be full of white bass also. i had a blast on them in my jc days, i would have gone nuts catching those whites as a kid. i always used a 2" chat. power grub on the lightest jighead i could cast. cast across the current and keep a tight line, let the current do the work and you will catch fish. that is if they are there. something will be there or you can follow the western shore of spirit to one of the slough runs. they often have nice perch early. keep on following that shore and you will reach the grade. you could spend a whole day fishing 6 or 7 spots and not put many miles on the car. bring your camera and let us know (and see)how you did. the kids might get a kick out of seeing there pics on line too cool.gif

Thank you all so very much for the outpouring and wealth of information! If the fish are there I can promise that these little buddies are gonna be hooked on fishing! All I can say is........I'm hooked on this great fishery down here! You guys are doing something right down here! Wish we could figure it out up here! Again thanks a million to everybody!

I can hardly wait to get down there! The closer it gets to the weekend the more kids I got coming down. Last week I was bringing young son and his bud down. Now I might have two more tagging along. Hows the fishing heating up down there? Isnt there a small bait shop real close to that pier? If I remember right there was a small white brick building close to that marina, that was where I got my license last time down there. Hope my memory is close! I'll be down there in a white dodge truck, trying to keep my excitement down while I try to keep 4 other boys in one spot. If anybody is down there stop by say HI, maybe take a kid or two!

Perch are on the pier.

No bait shop near the pier, that I know of. Make a stop at Kabeles, or Oh Shucks, on the way to the canals.

Dont forget about some crappies in the harbor either.

Good luck, and thanks for takin those kids fishin