• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Using trolling motor most effectively on 14' boat

Questor

I have a 14' aluminum boat that I have not been using a trolling motor on. I also have a trolling motor that I used on my canoe before I got the 14' aluminum boat.

The trolling motor is the kind you clamp to a transom.

What is the best way to use a trolling motor on such a boat? Should I figure out a way of mounting it near the bow? The transom is a bit too narrow to accommodate both the outboard and the trolling motor.

I appreciate your ideas. Thanks.

Wow, you must have a real narrow boat. Here a bracket I made for the bow of my 14' Lund to mount the transom mount trolling motor on the bow. Good luck.

[image]sunbird001.jpg[/image]

When I had a similar boat I took 2 pieces of 1x lumber, put them on either side of the gunnel near the bow, and clamped my transom mount motor to them. Worked great, just make sure you have it on there tight or have a safety strap in case it lets go (but I never had a problem with mine).

Thank you for the great ideas. I appreciate it.

Actually, my boat isn't that narrow, but there's a handle that at the stern that requires I mount the trolling motor too close to the engine. I can't steer properly with the trolling motor mounted unless I move it out of the way.