• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Today's goldeneyes (pics included)

Steve Foss

I spent about four hours on a gray day hunkered on my big belly in the camo waterproofs, snaking through the cattails along the Shagawa River.

Here are a few goldeneyes from the day.

All with Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D), Canon 100-400L IS at 400mm, handheld, iso400, f8, center-weighted metering

1/640, exposure compensation -2/3

male-neck-stretched.jpg

1/100, exposure compensation +2/3

female-profile-1.jpg

1/800, exposure compensation -2/3

male-head-on-1.jpg

Thanks, everybody. MM, he was about 20 feet away.

Jonny, it's actually easier for me to lay on my stomach than any other position. Helps with the waterproof camo, of course, and it's nice to be so low that you're level with your subject. Laying on the belly is easiest on my back, and if I try to squat or kneel for long periods of time, it hurts my knees and ankles and eventually cuts off my circulation down there.

It was unbroken cattails when I got there, but there were no ducks at the time, so I laid on my belly where I wanted to be at water's edge, extended my monopod, stuck it out at water level in front of me, and swiped it back and forth until there was a narrow alley of open space with thick cattails on each side.

Now that that's done, I plan to go back to the same spot tomorrow. We'll see.

Steve...your system certainly is working!...I don't own any "swamp proof" attire as of yet grin.gif...closest thing to achieving the "at the water level" images is from the camera itself..the "tiltable 2" screen on the back of the camera...it lets me get those photos that ordinarily would force me to lay on my belly grin.gif..saved my butt quite a few times...but getting close to your "target" is another story without spooking the subject...