• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund Tyee vs. Alumacraft Trophy

jerkin'm

Anyone have any opinions on the two of these against each other? The Tyee if obviously quite a bit more money and has a little more plush layout but is it a better ride? Looking at a family style boat that still fishes well...

I am a Lund guy at heart. Have had two of them now and would never change, but I hear the Alumacrafts are fine. Our friends had a Trophy a few years ago and it seemed to be a nice high and dry ride. In fact, at the time, it was a better ride than my old Pro-V. Now that Lund has added the IPS-2 hulls, I don't think there is any difference. Spend your money wisely. The "fit and finish" on the Tyee's or all Lunds for that matter, in my humble opinion are why they cost a little more. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Alumacraft, but the Tyee is a really, really nice boat. Bottom line, spend your money at the dealership, assuming your buying new, that will be there for you when it comes time for servicing or fixing, trust me, you will need it either way. Customer service is priceless!! (BTW, one of the main reasons I went with Lund in the area that I hail from).

I have been looking at the same two 18' boats this spring. The Tyee and trophy are both nice and have the same dimentions. I felt the advantage of the tyee was the fit and finish was slightly better and the tyee has rod storage under the floor. I did not think the difference was worth the 4-5k price difference. I ended up finding an 06' tyee holdover that was close to the price of the trophy, so that is what I have waiting for me to pick up next week!

I know a former water patrol deputy on LOW told me he felt the Alumacrafts were a little "lighweight" for the daily beating they took on Big Traverse. He basically said he did not feel safe in them. This was about 3-4 years ago, but he has spent his entire life on the water in lots of boats. I think he is pretty partial to galss boats.

Personally I think that Trophy looks like a pretty nice boat and their hull seems to really slice the water.

I like both boats, but there is a Lund differance. They are more money but I feel worth it all the way. When you come to sell for the next one, the differance really starts to show again in how much they are worth and how fast it will sell.

You'll be really happy with that. Again, I am partial to Lund, because I have never owned anything else. My boat has taken a pretty good pounding in rough water and I have always been impressed with how it handles, not that Alumacraft or any other brand doesn't do the same thing as far as I know. Good choice on the boat and have a great time. You and your family will love it.