• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have never fished in a tournament before but was considering it this year. After reading the rules I saw that they do not allow culling. Why is this? It would appear that culling would be the hardest form of cheating to detect. I don't believe culling would hurt the fishery any more than the tournament itself. I am not planning on cheating, I just think that there is probably alot of culling going on atready and would think that allowing it would put everyone on a more level playing field. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.....

It may be a restriction on the water you are fishing. There are some lakes that have no cull restrictions. As far as cheating, it may very well be happening. Anytime there is $$ involved the incentive to cheat for some is so tempting that they can not hold back.

here is an exerpt from the 2007 minnesota fishing regulations. I'm sure tournaments are not above the law.

"• Once a daily or possession limit of fish has been reached, no culling or

live-well sorting is allowed."

Page 10

my question is does this mean that you can sort and throw back before you have your limit?

You can cull up until you put your 6th fish in the box. So if you have 5 fish or less you can sort all you want. There are some lakes where the DNR will make it no cull for the tournament and you have to make decisions as soon as you catch the fish.

I have interviewed a DNR person on this issue. As long as you do not have your limmit of fish you are allowed to release a healthy life fish back into the water. So if we are talking bass or walleye in which the limit is 6 fish.. If you have 4 fish and catch a 5th and you want to throw back one of your smaller fish.. They DO NOT encourage that.. But It is not illegal.

BUT, if you have 5 fish, and you put a 6th fish in your live well.. YOU ARE DONE.. no more!.. kaput!!! yo umay not release a fish back into the water then.

if you have 5 in the tank and you catch your 6th fish and you want to keep that new bass. I would think you could still release it because it's not officially in your well. So technically your not at your daily limit yet... right?

WRONG! Once your limit is reached your done fishing. Once another fish is into your posession your OVER. If your holding it to unhook its IN your posession limit, net it and bring it into the boat, in your posession limit. If you do that with your limit in the livewell already then your over your limit = ticket.

To simply put it once your limit is reached your done! C ya, bye, gone!

Rememder there is always two people in the boat,thus leaving you another legal limit to choose from before you would have to cull. All it says is you can only bring X amount of fish to the scale, the rest u can take home and eat.