• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ID duck pic for me?

Carl, I don't have a clue it is a Mallard crossed with something though (my keen eye for the obvious acting up there!). I figured you would be checing this thread most often so I though I would let ya know thanks for all the photos! The picture of the hen and your comments remind me of an old saying I have about work... I am so happy here I could just _ _ _ _ Thanks for sharing and have a great day././Jimbo

It appears the drake mallard may be the result of a cross between a regular old American mallard and the Mexican black mallard. Same duck basically, but has a black head. I see them all the time in my winter travels to the TX coast.Very pretty ducks and not as silly looking as the tree ducks. Somehow a duck just doesn't look right sitting in a tree.

If it was the same size as the mallards, I'd still say a black east indies.

One of the breeding faults or defects can be a bill with this color.

If it was really big, maybe a cayuga

Just look up some of this on your favorite search engine and decide for yourself, as you saw it in person.

Good luck

I would say a mallard crossed with an east indie or a cayuga. It is not the right form for an East indie, an indie would be smaller then a mallard and its too small/slim for a cayuga. It is definately a cross, I would say with the indie, because they are a bantam breed of duck and can be quite good flyers and often fly off away from home. I used to raise east indies and they were to dumb to tell black top from water. Never saw a bird dumb enough to think it was swimming on tar and try to drink it too, until I raised a few of them.