• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip Up Lights (invention)

Creek Kid

After looking at $10 tip-up lights I decided to explore other (cheaper) possibilities. I discovered that Thill LiteBrite battery/lights (for Thill lighted slip-bobbers), when placed in a PaperMate pen tube, looked just like a red glow stick. Mmmmm... Am planning to fasten it to the flag w/tape or twisties. Have not been able to do a test run yet. (And living by the Mississippi, I may not get to at all with this weather) Anyone ever try this? Any reason why it wouldn't work? I know it's extremely low-tech (and not even close to a strike sensor - $40!!!) but I would be using it very rarely.

Would these lights be on all the time or just come on when the tip-up is tripped?

Why not just wrap reflective tape on the flag pole in three different locations. When hit by a flashlight beam, if the three stripes are horizontal, it's not tripped. When they're vertical, ya better be runnin' for it. Reflective tape can be seen for quite a distance.

It sounds kind of silly, but it works for me.
wink.gif
A few years back,at Xmas time, I bought one of these packages at Walmart, or Kmart, that has "glow in the dark" stars,planets,comets,etc., that stick to the ceiling,walls & doors in my youngest boys bedroom. Since he didn't use them all to create his own little universe. wink.gif I asked him if I could have a few to put on my tipups. He gave me some of them & I took rubber bands & attached them to my tipups.
They work great & last for hours.
[Once in a while they need a charge from a flashlite, if they get stowed in a dark place]

Just something you might want to try.The pack was about $2 & there's probably 100 of them in all sizes in the package.
[& you can make a kid pretty happy too! wink.gif ].
See ya out there!

------------------
Good Luck & Watch your bobber!
MnSportsman
Proud to be a member in good standing, of the
"Church of the Divine Wilderness"!
;)

Reflective tape works really well. We use a rechargable spotlight to check on the tipups. With a million or two million candlewatt spotlight you can see your flags half way across the lake. (Growing up in WI we could space our tip-ups out a lot further) Only problem with the reflective tape is that it will crack an fall off in very cold temperatures. (Much like the windows in a fish trap) We have had our best luck with reflective tape that is used on trailors. The tape is about 3" wide and is on a red/white role alternating 6" red/6" white. My friend got it free from work.

MnSportsman, I've been trying to figure out a use for the glow-in-the-dark frogs my boys had in their packages.....lol. Hey, maybe if we embedded a hook in 'em........Hmmmmmmmmmmm

That reflective tape is at Menards. I think the silver color shows up the brightest.
And, it may stop someone from running a tip-up over at night.

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-10-2002).]

The Glow sticks work great! What I do is get a cheap tube about 1/2" dia. Then wrap your flag around the shaft and rubber band the stick and flag so it is as small around as you can get. Then set the flag and slide the tube over the end of the flag shaft until it covers the light stick. When the flag goes up the tube falls down to the bottom of the shaft and wulla a glowing strike indicator works every time... The tube should be just long enough to cover the whole glow stick..

[This message has been edited by walleyeguy (edited 01-10-2002).]

All this discussion got me thinking. Why not just put a small diameter clear plastic tube on your flag shaft (just big enough to hold a glow stick). Plug the ends and cover the top half with tape so the glow stick can't be seen when the flag's down. When it goes up, the glow stick falls down to the clear part and you know your flag's up. Just like wallyeguy's setup -- No fancy switches, just the miracle of just gravity!

Wouldn't you have to keep buying glow sticks thou? And, you'd still need to have a flashlight in order to land the fish. Just shine the light out the window or door to see the reflection.

They're all good ideas but I guess I rather spend my money on something else.

I'm an advocate for Strike Sensors. Been using them for years and love them. I realize that they are a little expensive($40). But I think you will agree with me, that they are worth the money, after the first time you use um. They work great and are a blast to use. You will know instantly when a flag goes up, no matter where you are or where your looking. No more missed flags.

good fishing

mike

I knew I'd end up hearing better ideas than mine. Dave, the lights would be on all the time. I like the idea of something that would be more visible when the flag goes up. Mmmm. Lots of ideas here, maybe have to try something else.

I bought small bells that are designed to go on the end of a fishng rod tip. they are very audible on a lake and I always hear them before I see the flag. These are attached all the time. They work for day and night if you are not in a house. They were about $1.50 per set. No batteries or anythig else to buy. I agree the Strike Sensor is a real nice product, but I would question the durability over time. My tip-ups bang around on my ATV or pickup quite a bit. If I happen to damage a set of bells, I am only out $1.50 vs. $30.00. Give them a try. They actually have a slot built into them for a small glow stick to be inserted as well. Usually there is enough snow so you would not see the glow stick below the snow line until it popped up.

I'm buying myself a bell and fishing near hunt4food. Every ten minutes I'll ring the bell and watch as H4F comes tearing outta his fish house.....lol

MnSportsman.....the glow frogs are about two inches long and were in the "glow universe packages" my boys got for their rooms. I think I'll get some more and set up a stand at the lake access this summer. "Get your glow frogs here!"

[This message has been edited by Dave (edited 01-11-2002).]

Just wanted to let Hunt4Food know that I picked up some of those bells tonight. I never realized how well designed they are. They have a screw type design that lets you tighten them onto a flag shaft or the end of a rod. I also invested 1.29 in bulbs for another design of tip-up lights I created. Will post a full report if I ever get out and use them! I like to say that by making these "inventions" I am saving $. I bet if I added up the money I spend on gas, bulbs, tape, replacement parts, etc. I would be way in the hole! Sure is fun though! :-) Anyone who is an angler and doesn't own a Dremel or push the limits of DC electricity is really missing out on an evolution of fishing enhancement opportunities!