• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4wd in reverse....And it still doesn't work.........

clam up

Well, the first big snow hits so I start hammering the driveway with the plow and my 05 Sportsman 700's 4x4 decides to stop working in reverse. Works fine in high or low range going forward. Reverse override button still brings up the "SLOW" warning and the 4wd icon shows on the display. Also, the override button does function properly regarding the reverse RPM's. I've done a little research and found a couple possible culprits: 1)Speedometer malfunction, 2) Speedo sensor malfunction. Anyone have any input on this before I support my local economy and phone the ATV doctor? Wheeler is now 1yr in my posession (non-current year purchase), and here we go!!!!

Since I've heard this was one of the most closely watched posts on this forum, I figured I provide some resolution to the situation. Short story shorter.....bare wire grounding on the engine. Couple wraps of elec tape and we're back in business.

Hey Clamup, I had the 4x go out on an explorer this last snow could it be the same thing? I lost 4x in foreward too though. Just curious, the 500 has been running good and plowing well so far this past evening but I was just curious. If it was a wire which one and how do you prevent it? Thanks!

Tunrevir~

Well, my state of euphoria has officially been reduced to plain old "pessed awff". I thought I had whooped that problem and once again, no 4wd in reverse. It seems to work for the first couple "backups", but is then unresponsive after that. After having to be pulled out twice by my wife/jeep combination, that wheeler is going to the shop.

So you need to push that rev override button to get 4 wheel drive in reverse??? Cause I was trying to get through some thick stuff in rev and 4 wheel wasn't engaging, I wasn't pushing that override button though.

Quote:

So you need to push that rev override button to get 4 wheel drive in reverse???

Absoutley! Besides the rear dif's not engaging without applying the override, you will also notice that the engine will also run rough while attemting to drive in reverse. This feature is simply to remind the operator that in order to activate the 4 x 4 capacity while reversing the machine, the reverse "button" must be deployed. At least this is the case with my '06, 700 Sportsman.

If it's ok with you Clam-up, keep us posted with your results and good-luck.

I'm holding off on taking it in until the warmer weather hits. I threw the chains on and didn't have any problems during the last big snowfall. I'll post the outcome....or I'll post a new classified in the "For Sale" thread! Nah, just kidding. I really am satisfied with the size and power of this machine. I'd like to get this "glitch" behind me.

Update....I'm finally preparing to pull my front diff apart as I'm concluding that it's the roll cage that is damaged and/or broke. One key point of interest for anyone else with this problem - apparantly John Deere uses the same Hilliard diff parts in their new gators. They are the identical parts from the same manufacturer and a fraction of the cost from John Deere (roller cage w/ springs, roller kit & seals for just under $100 vs. well over $300 direct from Polaris). The are identical to the new roller cages that are being used in the new 07 sportsmans. I will report on my progress. This can be a big money saver for someone with similiar problems.

Final post on this - roll cage was indeed broken. Parts purchased from John Deere dealer worked perfectly. AWD operation is back to new. Anyone with a similiar prob should go this route. The fix went well, and I would recommend that someone with decent mechanical skills try it themselves. Cage, rollers & seals $109.