• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Method for weighing a fish house

Grabs

Well after some thought about how I could weigh my house, I suddenly remembered a method that was shown to me by my high school physics teacher. Now this will work for anything on wheels, because you need tire pressure to do the calculations.

With a trailer I would recommend hooking the trailer to what ever you plan on pulling it onto the lake with because the hitch angle can change the tire loading. You will need to measure the towing vehicle with and without the trailer attached in order to determine the exact weight of the trailer.

Place some graph paper, under each tire. Use graph paper that it is easy to count square inches on, 1/4" squares work very well. Now trace the tire outline onto the graph paper. Be sure only to trace the area that is in contacting the ground. Measure the tire pressure for each tire and record it on the outlined sheet for each tire.

Now count up the square inches within the outlined area.

Do the following calculation for each tire.
psi/si = lbs

Now subtract out the vehicle weight from the vehichle and the trailer wieght in orde to determine just the trailer.

This method is very accurate, but can only be as accurate as your outline and your tire gauge, so be sure to take good data!

Good Luck and let me know how it works.

At the ice show in December I asked this question to every dealer there with a fish house on wheels. The answer was 1500lbs. Didn't matter the size or the material that it was made out of. They all said 1500lbs.

So when someone ask me what my homemade 7 X12 on wheel weighs I just say 1500lbs. To me it doesn't matter as I'm not pulling it out untill I have 12 plus inches of ice.

Put the house on 2 inches of ice if it goes through it weighs more than a person!

Put it on 5 inches of ice, if it goes through, it weighs more then a snowmobile.

Put in a 8 inches of ice, if it goes through, it weights more then a small car.

Put in on 12 inches....Sorry, couldn't resist!ScottS