• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

7' Panfish rod???

Coach1310

Hello all. I am looking to get a 7' panfish rod for open water. I have some 6' rods, but have heard nothing but great things about 7' rods. I like the idea of better casting distance, better manuevering around cover etc. What do you suggest?? I want it to be real good quality, but nothing that breaks the bank! Thanks!!

I have an Eagle Claw 7' spinning rod rated for down to 2 lb test. It works really well for panfish fishing. Probably not a very expensive rod but it does a pretty good job. Its action could be a little bit faster, but its not bad.

For a 7' rod I like a Series One from Berkley. They have just enough tip and backbone that I can use it for both Panfish and Walleyes. Some other rods that I convert are Lightning rods in Medium action and one Fenwick HMG that is very fast for only being a Light action. Don't think that a Walleye rod is too stiff for Panfish. Medium light rods are perfect for both.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

I have a 7.5 ft St. Croix 1 piece Avid in ML and xfast action, and it is a great panfish/slipbobber/lindy rig rod. Soft, and fast tip with plenty of backbone. You will be glad you got a longer rod, hook sets become much easier.

I second the ML with a fast tip. Great repsonse and very sensitive, even down to the 1/64 and smaller jigs. Fisherdog and I have spent many a day seeking out slabs with our medium lights, although he known for bringing out his long stick once in a while wink.gif