• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2007 Reel choice?

bnbrk94

As long as everybody's talking rods, lets talk reels. I am in the market for a baitcaster for pike. I was thinking about a round baitcaster but am now looking at the low profile models. I am looking at the 100 to 200 dollar range. I would also like to troll spinners with it for walleyes. Any suggestions would be great. Just a few that i am interested in are the abu record, cabelas prestige, pflueger president or maybe a quantum. Any help fellas. thanks.

Hiya -

For a round reel, the Abu is what I'd go with. 6000-series Record might be a little on the large side for walleyes though? Might want to look at a 5000-size Abu.

For Low Profile reels, might depend on how big a fish you're dealing with. If they're 20-pounders, some of the low profile bass reels won't hack it. About the only low profile reel I know of that has the guts to be a heavy duty reel is a Shimano Curado D. But, they aren't cheap. That having been said, I've been pretty impressed with the Pfluger President... Seems to be a pretty solid reel.

cheers,

Rob Kimm

Same question was asked about a month ago, some good replies..... Past Post

On the low end: I have a Shimano Cardiff 300, so far so good with that, $110 I think.

High end: Go a little over and there are the Daiwa Lunas, 203 or 253 would work. 203 more for eyes, and I have a 253 I use for mid size musky baits, J&P, etc. As RK said, the Curado 300D is the only real power lo-pro out there, but it's $250.

Good luck!

The Record is a great reel...

As for low profiles,

The less expensive low pros are fine for the weekend fisherman that is throwing smaller baits. Over time they can burn out and you will be looking for a higher end reel.

The president is a good reel and will do the job but you might want to go up to the Supreme because it has metal gears if you plan on throwing bigger baits.

The PT series from Quantum are all good. The Energy which I believe is around $140 has higher quality gears.

All are super smooth and you'll like them.

Also, consider gear ratio, a slower gear ratio will last longer and it helps dispearse the weight of bigger baits i. e. bigger cranks. But it takes more work to burn bucktails.

Keep in mind what line that you want to use and what rod that you want to put it on. You'll be able to fit alot more line on a record 50 High Capacity then you will on a low pro. Not sure if it comes with an extra spool (pretty sure that it doesn't) but you can buy an extra spool and have it ready to go for walleyes.

Just some thoughts

John

The Record is a great reel...

As for low profiles,

The less expensive low pros are fine for the weekend fisherman that is throwing smaller baits. Over time they can burn out and you will be looking for a higher end reel.

The president is a good reel and will do the job but you might want to go up to the Supreme because it has metal gears if you plan on throwing bigger baits.

The PT series from Quantum are all good. The Energy which I believe is around $140 has higher quality gears.

All are super smooth and you'll like them.

Keep in mind what line that you want to use and what rod that you want to put it on. You'll be able to fit alot more line on a record 50 High Capacity then you will on a low pro. Not sure if it comes with an extra spool (pretty sure that it doesn't) but you can buy an extra spool and have it ready to go for walleyes.

Just some thoughts

John

I used a Chronarch 100BSV last year for small baits. It felt

good in my hand. I just got a Curado 300dsv off hsolist for less then 200. If it half as good as they say it is it will

get a lot of use. cool.gif

Thanks for the replys. I ended up with a c4 6600. It felt good in my hand and abu garcia has a 15 dollar off rebate on any reel over 75 bucks. What do you guys use for line? I am planning on casting it for northerns. Power Pro? 20# 30#?? thanks...