• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

300 Mag

Fish to Win

After some research I decided on buying a 300 Browning BAR, due to the fact that I like simi-autos. I read that the Short Trac (WSM) is more accurate than the long trac but really do not understand why even after I read an article about it- Which gun is better the short or long trac? and why? Thanks- I will be using the gun on Bear and Elk, Thanks. tongue.gif

WSM's are faster and flatter shooting than the long trac guns. With the faster speeds usually comes a bigger price for bullets and the gun. I bought a 270 WSM and love it. You really can tell that the WSM is faster than a regular 270.

I really don't think that you could go wrong with either of them. I personlly think that the differences in accuracy when shooting at large animals (bear/elk) aren't really going to be noticed. I was looking at the same gun and think I would go with the short trac for no other reason then a shorter travel length to eject the shell.

I also did some searching before buying a 300 WSM. So far I have not been disappointed with this caliber! I've shot bear, elk and whitetails with this gun and had excellent results! Maybe alittle over kill on the whitetails, but then again what does it matter when you shoot em in the neck anyways? I opted for the A-Bolt after looking at the BAR for along time, nothing wrong with the BAR just looking for alittle more accurate shooter thats all! I have noticed with my A-Bolt though that the new Supreme XP-3 in 150 grain does not shoot as well as the Ballastic Silvertip ammo in my gun. Dont know why not, but it just doesnt! Has any else had any experience with any of this ammo?

Thanks for all your advice and knowledge- Next question is that a lot of the ammo does not recommend using in semi autos- is that due to the fact of ejection problems or some other reasons- and even though it says that can you still use it? What will occur if you do? Thanks-

Here's something to think about. My peronnal choice in a deer/whatever gun is I like a light weight easy caring gun that I can drag through the woods. I bought a 7mm Mag Browning BAR from my step dad for what he said was a reasonable price. Had it for eight or so years. My goal was to use it for a Montana Mule deer/elk gun. Ended up being my Minnesota "field" gun. Would only bring it out if I thought I had a chance at a deer over 200 yards. The thing was like a tree carrrying through the woods. It was long, thick and heavy. Just before I traded it in, I brought it and the five boxes of 165 grain boattails out to Montana and used it as my "prairie dog" gun. The thing was mechanically fine. Looked nice, shot nice but I couldn't get over it being a physically big gun. I ended up trading it in on a BAR 30-06 lightweight. Wood stock, not the composite. I use the 30-06 everyday and Sunday and love it. It seems to weigh half the weight and seems like physically half the gun. The "fun" factor is 10 times what the 7mm Mag was.

The 300 WSM weighs 7lbs 4 oz how much lighter is the BAR 30-06 lightweight. Weight is not a real concern with me as it is for bear, which I stand hunt and for out west when I shoot my Elk. I wonder the weight of a 338 or 375??? I just put my order in at cabelas last week- Can't to scope it up and starting sighting it in???