• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on pulling 5th wheel and boat together

npsmokefan

My question on pulling both 5th wheel camper and boat is concerning the over all length. We are looking at buying a 5th wheel this spring and I would like to be able to take my boat with some of the time. I am told 70 feet is the max. length you can have. I have also been told the 5th wheel can only be a total of 26 feet. Is this true? If so, then how much is this enforced. Has anyone ever been ticketed for being over the legal length. I have a chev 4 door long box truck and a 18ft. boat. We are looking at campers that are around 31ft. 34ft. This puts me approx. 4-5ft. over legal. What are your thought or experinces.

Thanks

Go Smoke #20 at Daytona 500

I pull my boat behind my 5th wheel and I am under 70 feet. I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for being too long but if you get into a accident, then it will be a problem. If you want to pull a boat that long you have to get a smaller 5th wheel and set it up correctly.

Minnesota law states 60 feet is total length. Your 5er cannot be more than 28 feet. Also your not suppose to pull in the seven county metro area except on weekends but that law is never enforced. I've got a four dour pick-up w/ 25 foot 5er and 17 foot boat and am right at 60 feet. If your pretty close I don't think the troopers will bother you. Also keep in mind if your traveling out of MN every state is different, some dont even alow triple towing.

Are you sure its 60 feet. Every dealer I talk to say's it 70 feet. We are having a hard time finding a 5th wheel short enough but still has what we want. One big thing for us is having a triple bunk for our 3 kids. Can't find one under 29 feet. We are going to the RV show this weekend hoping to find something we like.

Thanks for your input.

I stand corrected. After reading dozens of internet sites with conflicting sizes it was time to go to the state itself.

169.81, Minnesota Statutes 2006

Subd. 3c. Recreational vehicle combination. Notwithstanding subdivision 3, a recreational

vehicle combination may be operated without a permit if:

(1) the combination does not consist of more than three vehicles, and the towing rating of the

pickup truck is equal to or greater than the total weight of all vehicles being towed;

(2) the combination does not exceed 70 feet in length;

(3) the middle vehicle in the combination does not exceed 28 feet in length;

(4) the operator of the combination is at least 18 years of age;

(5) the trailer carrying a watercraft, motorcycle, motorized bicycle, off-highway motorcycle,

snowmobile, all-terrain vehicle, motorized golf cart, or equestrian equipment or supplies meets all

requirements of law;

(6) the trailers in the combination are connected to the pickup truck and each other in

conformity with section 169.82; and

(7) the combination is not operated within the seven-county metropolitan area, as defined in

section 473.121, subdivision 2, during the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7:00

p.m. on Mondays through Fridays.

One thing too keep in mind is where are you going to camp! I pull a 27 foot fifth with a 17 foot boat behind a f350 diesel! while my over all length is under the legal limit we have had some difficulty finding a camp site big enough too park everything

State park camps are the worst for not having large camp sites yet they are a great place too camp in my opinion!

You will end up unhooking the boat out where there is room to do so. Most camp drives are too narrow and too sharp of turns to do with everything hooked up!

But it is sure nice to have all your toys when you get where you are going! cool.gif