• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WD-40

Fishing_Rookie_123_

There is an old wives tale that the main ingredient of WD40 is fish oil, its not, its a mineral solvent that can be generally released into the environment. Maybe that's where this came from? WD40 is mineral oil and mineral spirits, and is generally safe in the outdoors. I wouldn't personally go putting a product with petroleum derivatives into our lakes, tho.

I have no idea if it is a fish attractant.

I recently heard about the WD-40 as well. It has worked GREAT for me. Except I dont spray the lure or bait with it. I just put a very light spray on my hands before I handle any lures or bait. Seems to work great, I catch more fish now using the light spray on just my hands then I ever did.

I've heard of it, but haven't tried it. Had a buddy that said his wife told him to just use corn pieces on a hook and that's how she caught them as a girl. He brings corn on every trip and just laugh cause he hasn't caught a fish on it in the year I've fished with him.

I stand corrected. I just googled WD-40 for fishing and found a ton of stuff on it. The ingredients are secret but appear to be mostly petroleum based. I will say that another strange fishing attractant is Preparation H. Believe or Not!

Quote:

It has worked GREAT for me. Except I dont spray the lure or bait with it. I just put a very light spray on my hands before I handle any lures or bait.

I guess thats proof Duct tape and WD-40 is all a guy really needs to get through life. I wonder if the old wives tale about WD-40 for arthritis riddled joints is true? grin.gif

Quote:

I will say that another strange fishing attractant is Preparation H. Believe or Not!

My father inlaw used preparation H as an attractant. one of the ingredients is shark oil. He did out fish me the times he has used it too.

Saw a fishing video one time dealing with scent for fish. These guys were trolling for salmon on the Pacific near Seattle. They had a camera rigged so they could see their lures as they trolled along. One lure with natural bait on it, the other lure with the same natural bait plus different scents. You could see the fish come to the lures. They would follow one lure then move to the other then go back to the scented lure and so on. Some would simply disappear some would strike and most would strike the scented lure. It didn't make any difference what the lure was scented with as long as it was scented with something. They tried many different commercial scents, some they dreamed up themselves. The most interesting one for me was when they lowered the lure down into the bilge water in their boat. They showed the bilge water and you could see the sheen on the surface from motor oil and such and you could see the other stuff you would imagine would be in the bilge water. This still caught fish over the unscented lure. The fish seemed to prefer the scented bait, but it didn't seem to matter what scent was. I found it pretty interesting so if I happen to have something that would give a natural scent to my lure, I will add it. A little fish slime or whatever, but I don't add petroleum products.