• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
DCON

auger racks for sportsman

Any suggestions on an auger rack for a sportsman that would collapse or quick disconnect so it wouldnt get in the way of a travel cover? I picked up a Mad Dog auger rack, but dont think its gonna work, the forked end for the bit sticks up too high to fit the travel cover.

There is one big screw/bolt that holds the fork in place. It is very simple to take on and off. All you have to do is take the bolt out and slide the fork off the splines and you are good to go. I have the same setup on my grizzly and love it. In the summer I just take the top pieces off and leave the brackets on all year.

CA

Yeah I got the mad dog holder that is specifically for augers and it is great, the auger is VERY secure in this holder. Like Crappie said you just pull out one bolt with a flathead screwdriver and the yoke part pops right off. Good Fishin

Forgot to mention I have mine hooked up to the plastic rack on the front of my sportsman, I don't know if other models will do that. Just in case you don't have a rack extender or just want to mount it lower.

I'm wondering if you would share how you attached it to your Sportsman? I have an 06 but I don't see any through holes for the yoke/bolt to pass through. The rear rack does but I'd like to have the auger on the front rack. Thanks in advance.

I got the rack extensions on my 07. The auger mounts mount on those bars perfectly. Wheeler is in for an oil change and service, will take and post a picture later.

CfRay

I belive you were asking me how to hook the mounts up directly to the plastic rack on the front right? It's tough to explain but I can take a pic and email it to ya or put it on here but I have not figured that out yet.

Yes, that's what I'm asking. I know that the Mad Dog mounts will clamp right on a rack extension. I'd like to see how you put the auger mount on the composite base. For the non- Polaris owners, the composite rack opens to access the front storage area. If you have a picture email it to me @ [email protected]

Thanks!

CFRay

I was at the polaris dealer tonight and realized that in the last 2 years or so they changed the front rack to that storage box. My Sportsman is a 99 and the front rack is similar to the back. I did look at that rack while I was at the dealer and you could do it if you wanted to. All you would have to do is drill a few holes the size of your bolts and open the cover to put the nuts on and tighten them, that plastic is plenty strong. If your worried about water getting in just silicone around the bolts on the inside of the cover. Just an idea. Good looking dog by the way. good luck

Thanks for checking into it. I'll probaly have to look at getting the rack extension for the front and then clamp the auger mounts to that.

That springer in the photo came from a breeder up your way, Mahnomen. Met them in DL to look at pups. Eight years ago. She still has the energy of a puppy.

Quote:

CfRay

I belive you were asking me how to hook the mounts up directly to the plastic rack on the front right? It's tough to explain but I can take a pic and email it to ya or put it on here but I have not figured that out yet.

Livintofish.....I own a 2006 700 Sportsman, I would appreciate it if you would email us that pic! My email is [email protected] thanks in advance!

Hey there was a misunderstanding on that like I told CFRay I have a 99 Sportsman and the front rack is like the rear. You got the new one with the storage box up front, You either gotta drill some holes for your bolts and custom rig it or get a rack extender.

Last question..........I have a newer Polaris Sportsman, it has the storage box at the front. Can I simply drill a few holes in order to accommodate the MAD DOG auger rack? If this is not an option I can always modify a pipe style bracket to fit over the box and then fit the MAD DOG's.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah that could definately be done, like I suggested to CFRay if you scroll up this page a few comments, and if you dont want to drill the holes through there, I believe they still make rack extenders for the newer front box/racks (the mad dog auger will hook up to these too), not sure if they make them though.

Here are some pics of my '07. PICT0006.jpgPICT0007.jpg

I personally wouldnt drill holes in the trunk lid. Also, if you put the mounts on the rack extender, there is room under the auger to store things(vex, minnow pail, etc.)

Anyfish,

Is that a RAM mount for your H2o or a different brand. Also wondering what that costs. Guessing a guy can get one at Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse. I like that setup. I have an '07 Grizzly 450 with the Mad Dog on the front as well. It fit but took a little manipulation and positioning so it cleared the plastic since the rack has so little clearance on top of the plastic now. I made a hardware store run and used shorter bolts, not the manufacturer hardware.

Yes that is a RAM mount on the GPS. If I recall, it cost ~$35. I think I got it at Gander. The rack ext on the sportsman is almost a must to mount things too. It makes it so much easier.