• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help selecting a bait casting rig

dolson

I'm looking to buy a bait casting rig primarily for northern pike fishing. I want something lighter than my musky equipment but still with the guts to handle a 20 lb jack. Looking through Cabelas etc. is a bit overwhelming. I'd welcome any recommendations.

I would like more information before I suggest a rod and reel combo... Pike.. are you going to use this rod to throw spoons and bucktails or is this rod going to be used more for throwing out a sucker minnow?

Also, it would be nice to know approx budget for the combo.

Off the top of my head an all around decent rod reel combo is a Shimano Calcutta and Compre set up..

I'll use it to throw spoons, small to mid sized buck tails, etc. As for the money, I'm thinking in the 150.00 - 250.00 range. My budget seems to flex somewhat with what I think I need. I just want a decent piece of equipment that I can count on. Thanks Deitz. Perhaps I'll see you at the Sturgeon excursion again this Spring. What a riot!

I have the Cardiff 300 on a bass flippin' stick, I think it's a 7'10" St Croix Avid. Serves many uses for me. I use it for smaller bucktails, J&P presentation for muskies and pike. Longer rod makes for better distance casting and has enough backbone for heavier lures, but enough give in the tip to load up and still throw some smaller stuff. Often looked at it and wished I had this set up when I'd been to Canada in the past!

Chris

I got the Shimano Cardiff 300 and Compre combo last spring and can't say one bad thing about them. I fish musky quite a bit with it and it takes a pounding with some of the big bulldawgs and crankbaits. Just make sure and keep your reel clean and oiled and you won't be disappointed with it.