• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catching perch?

lrrpinman

I would call it a combination of both. Often times I have found that the bigger perch want a smaller presentation much like a bull 'gill. But as for locations, you will see the perch mixed right in with the 'eyes or vice-versa, especially on Mille Lacs.

I will usually fish the softest bottom I can find for perch. It will hold the bloodworms that attract the bait and jumbos.

When I target them in SD I usually have set lines with a small moonglow jig and minnows of various sizes. I am also jigging some sort of spoon with a minnow head or waxie.

mw

I like to use a buckshot spoon, tipped with a head or tail if your in a hurry for bait, if ya know what i mean. I think i trigger more bites than my dad, while he is using regular jig, they love it when it bounces on the bottom and when you lay it down bam, We usually fish together in the same hole, 3-4 put together, and i outfish him every time, but he is a stubborn swede and sticks with his presentation, oh well, I keep the big ones coming and with the buckshot I rarely miss em.

I have to say that if you can find a muddy basin area you are in business, because these fish feeding mainly on macroinvertebrates like Mike said blood worms, scuds, and several different aquatics insects. A vast majority of these are relating to soft bottoms areas, so I just move around untill I find them. I genrally try to search them out with a small spoon/wax worm or spikes and that seems to work really well. Then I can downsize after I find them and try to mimic the primary forage for the day! My favorite perch jigs are Genz worms (trying different colors), Fat boys, ratso's and shrimpo's, and my favorite spoons are small buckshot rattle spoons, Angel Eyes, Kastmasters, and swedish pimples. One thing to remeber is that the really big jumbos act like a totally different species of fish. In my experiences they tend to be off on their own and roam in schools of all big fish 11"+ perch. So if you start to hit smaller ones then it would probably be wise to keep moving and try fishing deeper or shallower.

Here are some picks of some Perch from earlier this winter:

325767651_724f8eb55c.jpg

325767652_b6f1766e19.jpg

Quote:

Note from admin: Please read forum policy prior to posting again. Thank you.

Sorry, did not mean to break the rules. I just read the rules again and not sure what I did wrong. Any help to prevent future mistakes is appreciated. I live in NY and story took place in MA. Don't think it is illegal but will have to check now. Thanks for the info.