• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open water

The Grebe

Who would have ever thunk it in January...I went open water fishing from shore today with the long rods...got one walleye and missed a couple and I'm going again tomorrow! First time I have ever done this in my life.

Sounds fun! I went over to Turtle Lk in Shoreview today to find almost the whole north half was in white caps. Can't say I have ever seen that on Jan. 5th.

Found plenty of decent ice on the south end to fish.

Well, we did it again! I watched some of the Jets/Patriots game and while doing so, I thought...'Hummmmmm? Do I want to load up all the ice fishing gear and hit a local lake, or should I try the long rods again?'

Long rods it was and away we we went. We hit the river and got into some crappies right away. We ended up with about a dozen up to 3/4 pounds. We also got 3 walleyes, 2 northerns and a channel cat....nothing special, a minnow and a hook on bottom, or under a bobber.

Of course we had trouble with the guides icing up and that wind was bitter and cutting if you got out of the leeward side. Protected, it wasn't to bad....we fished for about 3 hours.

The crappies stopped for awhile, but right at dark, they started in again, but dark was as long as we were gonna stay, we'll leave the rest until next year. Open water fishing is finally done for us.