• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

portable ice shelter options

deathmatch782

I went shopping around with my christmas money intending to buy a portable. After looking around at a few stores, most are either too expensive for me, or too large.

At this time, I have it narrowed down to the Quickfish 2 or Clam 2000.

I have a small car so I need a shelter that folds up small, and I dont get out enough to warrant spending a good amount of money on a shelter.

I saw that the Quickfish doesn't have a bottom. Does anyone have personal experience with these types of shelters?

Due to size, would it be better to go with the Clam or Quickfish?

Whatever you get make sure it has a floor! The floorless are great to pack in on long trips but terrible in the wind and much colder to fish out of.

I would look in the for sale forum here on FM and get a used house with a small sled or floor.

Have you looked at a Pac Shack? It might be tough to find one now, but they are about $100 and great for one person. I even heard a rumor they were on sale somewhere, but I couldn't verify that.

I'm sure if you called Joe at Reel Fishing and Tackle, the Southcentral Minnesota Forum sponsor, he would make you a rippin' deal on a Clam 5600. They have the Otter Cabin and the Fish Trap Guide also. I know he would deal on any of them. Seriously, call him! It would be well worth the call and trip!

I work at menards and I cant recommend the ice bandit inexpensive says it all I have seen a number come back with bad zippers and the poles are small and weak do not stand up to wind.With a few improvements it could be an ok shelter but I agree with one of the other posts buy used from this site. Good luck in whatever your choice is.

I did alot of looking and comparing on the same type of shelters you are looking for earlier this winter. Small 2 person shelters that can fit in a car.

I found that the Clam 2000 seems to be the most well built shelter out there and it is small enough to fit in just about any car. I looked at the menards houses and they had one that looked ok, but they were selling for something like $229 and you can get a Clam 2000 at Gander Mountain for $199 so I didn't see the point in getting a lesser brand and paying more money.

The only down fall of the clam is that it doesn't have the height a Frabill Outback might have but if you aren't real tall it shouldn't matter. I am 6'4" so I was looking for something as tall as possible. However even with its shorter height the Clam 2000 is the one that I will go with when I get the $$$ together.

we have a Shappell S3000, for three seasons now. It is virtually identical to the Clam 2000. It is light at under 50 pounds, easy to pull and set up. I can stand up in it. Two of us are comfortable in it, the Mr Heater Buddy is sufficient to keep it warm. We use 2 five gallon pails to sit on. Stands up well in the wind, has a floor, which I feel is a must. It suits our needs wsll, and the Clam corp makes a great product. It might be just what you need ! And it costs a little less than the Shappell.

An Eskimo Traveler might work. If you search the web you can find one for under $200 (maybe $150 on hsolist?) and the dimensions should be noted as well.

I've had one for several years and it's a basic model, but it works just fine for two. I like the tall height, the sled/floor, and has good ventilation flaps and sightlines for watching your tip-ups.

DB