• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

last bowhunting weekend in WI

fishane

Well, after taking a month off the thought of not being able to hunt till next Sept. has me going out this weekend. As I live close to the border I bowhunt both in WI and MN, and WI's season doesn't end till Sunday. I have two virgin stands set up in solid deer holding areas and my dad is coming up for the weekend to hunt with me. Should be good, and hopefully we will get an opportunity or two. I'll share my results next week. One thing for sure, it doesn't look like it is going to be too cold. This has been the warmest late season that I can remember.

Well, Saturday the woods were extremely noisy (crunchy) and I had 3 deer around my stand which sounded like twenty. I could hear them easily 20 minutes before I saw any of them. The only one that came in close appeared to be a yearling doe, she came within about 10 yards but never stepped into one of my lanes so I did not shoot. Sunday night was a little too windy for my taste, but both evenings were warm enough for pleasant hunting. Sunday I did not see a deer, perhaps because they all heard me leave my stand on Saturday night? I only had two good stands out, so my dad and I were forced to sit in the same stands two nights in a row, something I don't usually do. About 4 pm my dad had 4 deer come past, a small buck, and 3 anterless. Only one came close enough, a nubbing buck, so he shot it. Not a monster by any means, and even though he double lunged it, it did not bleed a drop (he hit it a little high.) It was a good thing he saw it drop. It was not a huge deer, but this is the latest in the season either of us has ever shot a deer, so that sort of makes it a trophy. The owner of the property we were hunting did not get a deer this gun season and does not bow hunt, so we are going to give the meat to them, and they are very happy about that (they love venison.) Hopefully this will lock in my bowhunting privileges for the forseeable future, and I've got to feel good about that. All in all, a very nice weekend, and I got to hunt with my dad, which both of us always enjoy. One more first, I gutted his deer for him. He has probably gutted 10-15 deer for me in my youth, but this is the first I ever did for him.

fishane-

It sounds like a great weekend. I also treasure the quality time like this that I spend with my own father. I agree that this was a true trophy!

Congrats to you & your Dad. I went for my last weekend in WI of the year, only my 2nd, the previous weekend when is was drizzling off & on, hunted Friday & Saturday. The only deer I even saw was a flag while walking around after getting off stand mid-morning on Friday. My brother-in-law saw three, but all out of range. The scouting was productive though, found a couple of great new spots.