• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Printing Photos

My printer is on its way to the graveyard and I was thinking about getting a photo printer until I got to thinking about ink costs, quality, convenience, etc. From what I have read the cost of printing my own photos will be higher than having them done elsewhere and the quality will be anywhere form OK to great. Any other things I things I should keep in mind? I'm leaning towards what I have always done - having my photos printed elsewhere. Are the on-line places worth a look?

Dirk: Unless you really need the precise quality control and instant printing capability of your own printer, it's probably not worth the hassle. Lots of pros I know don't even do their own printing, even in this age of $200 inkjet printers being able to match photo lab quality and longevity.

Online labs vary like any other business, ranging from top of the line to just OK, as far as my reading has discovered. I've so far never used an online printing source.

A friend of mine who does some professional magazine photography (tropical fish publications) has a high end Epson printer. But, he has decided if he needs standard prints, it's easier and cheaper to burn them to a CD and hit a one hour photo place. He'll even do this for up to 8x10s. For bigger stuff he uses his wide carriage printer.

I use my photo printer for onesy twosy type of things. If I need a bunch of stuff printed I just send them to Wally World or dump them onto a CD. Photo ink is just too dang pricey for printing a bunch of photos.