• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's a good pout recipe??? How to clean?

Hi

I know some folks like to keep and eat pout, I have never but would like to give it a try since I seem to run into a few of them during the witer. What's the best way to prepare them? Also what is the best way to clean them?

I hear they are like lobster chunks if done correctly....

Hey Stratosman, I had a discussion about this with my uncle over Christmas, he cuts out the backstraps along the spine like you would with deer and then he cubes the strips and boils them either in 7-up or Mt Dew. Also, if I remember right there was either a discussion in here not that long ago or else in the ice fishing forum about this too, good luck

The way I do it is to freeze the pout on the ice first. Take the frozen pout and put a slice down both sides of the spine and down each side. Take a pliers and peel off the skin and carve out the meat. Cube up the meat and boil it in a pot of sprite or 7-up. After the pout is cooked put it in a hot pan with butter and fry it up. Fresh water lobster.

Not to bring up and old post, but I was at a party this weekend and Dirty Biker cooked up some pout as a side dish using the 7-up idea, I have to admit it was delicious and I was extremely skeptical. DB job well done! And BigWadeS thanks for the tip.