• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SxS shooters

Any SXS diehards out there?

Just getting into shooting a sxs and boy is it ever fun!

shooting better than ever. I won a 16 ga Ithaca NID in a raffle during a Woodcock Minnesota banquet last fall. Doesn't quite fit me. LOP is short and the drop is too much for me, but it is sweet little gun. Pretty too.

I recently got a spanish import from BSA. 12 ga. 28 inch chrome lined barrels, interchangable chokes, fits me well. Shot some roosters today and shot my first Ruff with it on Friday. Boy is that fun! It is like an extension of myself, raise and shoot. Why didn't I get into this sooner? SXS are fun and easy to shoot and more deadly when you get "the one" for you. and, with the recent resurge in popularity and collector aspect, hold their value if not gain value.

My next purchase will be a nice english gun. Man did those old Brits know how to make a beautiful, balanced gun. It is fun to read the history on these guns and their manufacturers as well. Great Sport! cool.gif

You are now on dangerous ground. Keep it up and you will end up with a rack of Parkers, Foxes,Winchester 21's,L.C.Smiths and maybe even a Purdy,Boss or Holland and Holland. You have learned what REAL shotguns are all about. Oh sure, there are mechanical pumping machines you can use or even the new modern plastic stocked black painted sewer pipes everybody calls shotguns, but you are now on to the real thing. Shoot the right modern loads. Be mindful of pressures if you shoot a truly old sxs and you will never go back to those funny guns. I tried shooting a very nice looking Berreta 391 last fall. It gave me the creeps. No solid Thump, Thump....just this squishy clink...clink. Shudder. Awful. You'll never go back now. Welcome to the club.

I must say that I am getting closer to being a die hard SxS shooter. I bought a couple of DeHaan doubles (20 and 28ga)this year and ever since all the rest of my bird guns have not seen the outside of the gun cabinet. I shoot the SxSs so well that I really don't miss the 3rd shot that I gave up from the autos. I have several O/Us but I just can't seem to go without taking the side by's. I've got a bad feeling that I may need several more.......

Thanks for the replies guys. I really got the bug. I am definately addicted. For awhile there i was spending hours a day on the internet looking at all the nice guns out there. For the last few years there has been a Scatter gun shoot at the Rice Creek Game preserve in Little Falls. It is set up buy Woodcock Minnesota, a new conservation organization for funding research on Woodcock in the upper midwest. SXSs only. I think it will be the last week of August again this summer. If you are interested in the shoot or joining the organization let me know. I am good friends with the founder, Randy Havel. I will send out some reminders when the shoot approaches.

take care all.

Tom

Nope - I had planned on it, but before I had gathered all the materials a friend of mine put me on to "polywad", which is a mfg down in GA (if I remeber correctly).. Among other cartridges, they produce one with very low compression powder and light loads. It's called the "Vintager".

I've never had anyone say that any round is OK for use in damacus barrels, but this is clearly what they are intended for, and I talked to a couple guys out east that use similar loads with slightly higher compression in thier damascus barreled guns.

The loads are very light (7/8 oz), are loaded in 2 1/2" hulls, and have very light recoil. I have to admit that this causes me to hold my fire to what is easily within 30 yards, which is actually probably a good thing.

I have to say... I just really like carrying and shooting that old piece.

Several years ago, my father in law had an old Spanish SxS 20 gauge with external hammers just sitting in his closet. I asked him about it and he said it was broken. He said if I am willing to fix it, I can have it. The chokes were too tight, it needed new firing pins, and the mainspring was weak. Took it to a gunsmith. It now has 2 I/C barrels, new pins, and new mainsprings. This was it's 5th grouse season. I sold my 12 gauge pump and now use this gun only. It has been given a new grouse killing life. No longer doomed to a life in the closet rusting grin.gif

I was just going through some photos from earlier this fall, when I came across these and thought you guys might enjoy them. I don't really get out grouse or woodcock hunting too much, but this was one of those days when everything just came together on it's own.

A good friend happen to call on a beautiful fall day, work was light enough, and I had vacation - so off we went.

Then the birds were in all the right spots, flew in all the wrong places (for them)... then add a nice little SxS and it makes for a memorable day...

PS - I think I followed it up with some fall steelheading rather than heading back home :-D

How long 'til next October!?!?!?!?

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

Hey Stiff....never get rid of that Sterlingworth!! Brings back memories of a .16 guage I used for several years.Busted many fat greenheads in the timber with it. Great shotgun-don't let it go, even if you seldom use it.

I inherited my Grandfather's Winchester model 24, 16 guage side by side. In High school I got to shooting it for grouse and some waterfowl, then came steel shot and I put it away for about 18 years. I took it out for a few pheasant hunts this year and found myself carying that over my red label, super x2, 870, 1400... well you get the picture. The gun is plain fun. Looking ahead, I can see it out a whole lot more. Always regretted selling my Fox 20 sxs. I'm keeping my eyes open for another sxs, probably an old one. I think the 24 will make a couple outings yet this winter for "barn ducks" (pigeons) and maybe a rabbit or two. Have a great 07, Brent

It's funny - I was reading "Ufatz" reply about his old 16ga. Fox SxS... The one in the photo is actually also a 16ga. I really enjoy that gun a lot. I love to carry it. It's so light it's ridiculous!! I was told that those early Fox 16 ga guns were built on 20 ga frames. Many of them are even lighter than thier 20 ga. counterparts for some reason.

The one in the photo tips the scales at about 5 1/2lbs!!....... which might be one reason why I really don't seem to shoot it very well confused.gif

Anyway, I gave it to a good friend who seemed kind of interested in it. If he likes it, we may work out some kind of deal?? I hate to part with it, but if someone else shoots it straighter than I do - it probably belongs somewhere else.

Then I read "Fisherkings" note about his old 16 ga Winchester model 24... Dang if I don't have one of those too! blush.gif Now, that gun is actually kind of beat up and homely to begin with, but it is absolutely like an extesion of my arm. I pity the rooster (or grouse) that flushes within range when I'm carrying that one... I don't really have a love for the way it looks, but I can't even think of parting with it because I have such confidence with it.

Anyhoo, I've heard that these SxS things can become really addicting to some folks and some peolpe even end up owning more of them than they really need. confused.gif I heard some guys become terribly afflicted... Fortunately, I don't personally know anyone like that blush.gif

God help those poor souls....

I got bit really bad after reading a couple of books. Shotguns and shooting was a real eye opener for me and I wanted a little more out of my hunting so I ended up buying a couple. Here is my 100yr old LC smith 2E

111-1163_IMG.jpg

111-1164_IMG.jpg

I'm getting rid of the recoil pad and putting on a silvers which was an option back in 1906.

I also have an italian Piotti Piuma BSEE 20ga that I can't shoot worth a darn. I'm considering selling it.

Now THAT is a shotgun crazy.gif Show that to some of those platic and sewer pipe device shooters and carefu;;y and slloowwwlly explain to them what a shotgun is supposed to look like.

I had a little .20 L.C. for a few years; light as a feather and it slapped hell out of me. laugh.gif

Nice SXS's!! What is everyone going to do when they ban lead on all public land in MN? Bismuth is so doggone expensive. I have the disease, a 20 gauge BSS from 1979, a 1964 Berreta 12 gauge (my favorite and can't shoot steel with it) and a new Charles Daly 12 gauge. All SXS's. Any suggestions? I LOVE the Berreta.

unless you reload your options are limited. I have to shoot low pressure loads out of the LC smith so lead is my only option with factory loads. I shoot bismuth out of my 20g SXS but if there is bad weather or I'm hunting a WPA then my beretta O/U with tungsten matrix comes out. One of us usally has a backup gun. Last season I bought a box of bismuth and it nearly lasted all season, you can only shoot 2 birds, so for me it's worth it. My fuel expenses are still my biggest cost on a hunting trip, not my ammuntion.

I suppose if a guy had a particular old gun that he really liked he could get a set of Briley tubes for it, but I agree with Mamohr686 - just keep a modern back up for those situations.

Also, I think there are some modern SxS's that warrant some attention. I think Ruger came out with a Red Label SxS - I haven't actually seen one in person yet. I think Kimber came out with one recently too. There must be others as well. Seems odd that when we think of "quality" in a SxS, we automatically look to the older guns. Doesn't that seem backwards to anyone else??

Yes the new SXS's are spendy. I bought a Charles Daly in 06, its the low end gun. Italian, very tight gun, fits good, came with 5 choke tubes......................but single non-selective trigger was the sacrifice I made for paying less coin. I think Daly has 3 grades still.

Rugers? Lots of rumors but no gun dealer I know of has yet to see one.

Yea I know the cost of Bismuth is relative to all the other costs but I miss birds!!! so my cost may be higher than some of you dead eyes. The old guns are sweeet and lightweight and have character............but can't shoot steel or heavy loads.

You can pick up a new CZ bobwhite or ringneck for pretty cheap. Like most shotguns, high qualtiy guns are at a higher price. I've noticed a lot of new SXS shotguns on the market that would be fine to shoot new loads. The new ruger gold label, marlin bringing back the LC smith, used SKB and ithaca guns are a good value if you can find them. There a are a few browining BSS guns around that can be found around the $1100 range. Beretta 471 and the new RBL from galazan are sweet but really up there. Gunbroker and gunsamerica usually has some deals. Does anyone know of any gunshops in MN that sell a lot of high quality Side by side shotguns? I've seen pugsly's gun HSOforum based out of diluth, and the cabelas gun library are there any good ones I'm missing?

The modern doubles may be fine stuff, but they are just plain butt-ugly with those BRIGHT SHINY actions and screw in chokes. Sure the action, trigger assembly and other parts made of polished aluminum save weight, but they will never be as gorgeous as high quality color case hardening. And nothing done today beats true blueing. I was really intrigued when I heard Ruger had developed a nice double. Then I saw it. No thanks.

You can find ammo for the classics. And probably the LEAST expensive hunting item you'll buy is a box of shells. Drop one 12-pack, one DVD, one movie and you've got a box of bismuth.

CZ Ringneck and Bob white, Fabarm Classic Lion, Ruger Gold Label,Weatherby d'italia, BSA Royal and classic, Ugartechea, LC smith. Just a few modern made models that that have chrome lined barrels, screw in chokes that you can shoot steel out of with the open through mod chokes.

Check with a good gunsmith that works with double guns. Barring damascus and flues barrels or low pressure 2 1/2" chambers, if your gun has good barrel thickness and chokes larger than Modified you should be able to shoot steel.

Again, check with a good Gunsmith for a prof opinion of your gun.

Yeah, no argument they are building more attractive doubles today than they have for many years. The price will knock most people out of the room though. And the old guns are also too high. If you have the money go for a new one I guess, even though it will probably be blacked instead of blued and it'll fer sure have screw in chokes sticking out the front. The Bowning BSS's are nice solid guns too, along with many of those mentioned. But jeez.....popping a big rooster with my 65 year old Parker is just soooooo sweet. And dumping a grouse or quail with a five pound Parker 20 guage is as good as it gets.

But.....ANY double is better than lugging around one of them big ol' belt fed black painted plastic stocked weapons systems with the constrictor tubes sticking out the front. Gives me shudders just thinking about it. Can't imagine what it must be like to be caught out in public carrying something like that around. grin.gif

I bought a new savage/stevens 410 upland sporter this year. It is the gun in my avatar. I like carrying the gun and it has some features of the higher $ guns - auto ejectors, selectable barrel, some scrolling, etc. I think it is good for the money. The only problem I have had is that the trigger gaurd extends back a ways and really slams my middle finger when I shoot. It has been bad a couple of times and I had to go back to my pump to let it heal. I don't see a need for such an extended trigger gaurd as none of my other shotguns have it. I had an old given to me sxs that ended up being stolen and this is my first purchase of one. I like shooting it just not the swelling, bruised finger I get if not really careful when pulling the trigger.