• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mac or pc?

CapnJack

Just wondering what everyone out there has? My computer is approaching 6 years in age and keeping Millinnium up and running is like doing up-keep on an older car. It's a constant maintenance thing just to keep the thing from freezing up. With Vista about to unfold with the frequent glitches and up-dates and the new Mac-Leopard OS.to appear in the next few months, what are your thoughts on a new system? The security isssues alone are enough to get me thinking Mac. Tonite while trying to read e-mail my computer was down-loading virus definitions and my IP was trying to do a spyware up-date at the same time and it froze again! SNAFU. So what do you think?

What would you want to use it for mostly? I personally would go PC Because there is alot more programs compatible with a PC. For your current computer if you have the Operating System install disk there is a program called Wipe Drive that you can buy and it will completely clear your computer of all programs including viruses and spyware. It gets rid of your operating system too so make sure you have the install disk for your OS. I think its a great program.

Wiped my hard drive clean last fall and re-installed just the stuff that I actually used on a regular basis. Regained alot of free space and it ran alot better for about 9 months or so. Lately its doing the freeze up thing alot more and the photo software is loading sooo slow. I run anti-virus and spyware programs constantly just to keep things running so-so. I've recently done research on Macs and for what I actually use it for..music,photos,e-mail, Im starting to lean toward the Mac. But I don't want to dive in before the end of the month to see what up-grades Mac has and all the de-buggging of Vista. Just curious if anyone has ever used Apple computers and what there response is.

I have never used a Mac but from what i have read i think i would agree that for what your using it for, a Mac would be better. Hopefully somone that does know about Macs can fill you in. Good luck!

Life-long Mac user here. The arguement that there is more software authored for PC was rendered moot by the new I-Mac dual platform. Mine has Pentium just like yours. It is a PC when I turn it on one way; a Linux based Mac the next. Bill Gates is welcome here, but he doesn't get invited to often. Mac software is usually better. But when I need to run my GPS software or Lakemaster, I can. Lightning fast. Turn it on and it goes. Beautiful machine. No tower or CPU. The screen is the drive. No viruses. Dot-Mac accounts. Firefox browser. I photo, I tunes. I movies. Yep, it costs a bit more, but the advantages are immeasurable. If you don't want to buy one, don't try one. I use PC's all day long at work, then come home and hug my Mac.

Up until very recently, your info was correct. The new IMacs are the ones capable of, and carry dual processors, allowing for either PC platform or Mac. Unless you're a Mac fan, I can't see how many folks would know this fact (excluding one ad that runs infrequently stating this....)

Quote:

A Mac certainly isn't going to run all my PC software correctly...... PERIOD.

i don't know. I run lots of different software. It's pretty seamless, but you seem to be pretty certain about that.

Anyways B King try it yourself, and do your homework. Random opinion-gathering is probably not going to get you your best answer. You're collecting just that: opinions. Facts and experience tell a clearer version of the truth. Good luck in your research.

I've used nothing but Macs at home for 10 years, a combination of Macs and PCs at a variety of newspaper jobs for 14 years.

The IMac changed a lot of things forever, as irvingdog pointed out. He's also right in that gathering opinions isn't the most complete way to form your own. But it helps. Mostly, you'll get a lot of debate over this and that, some of the facts reliable, some not, many colored by brand loyalty. Irvingdog's assessment tracks with my experiences.

And so now I have my own brand loyalty, one formed from more than a decade of using both types of machines extensively. Here's my take: You can have my Mac when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

It kinda all depends on what you plan to do with your computer. There is plus and minuses for both. Personally I like PCs better maybe its because I am just more comfortable with them but you definatly seem to be a bit more limited program wise with a mac.

Quote:

you definatly seem to be a bit more limited program wise with a mac.

Absolutely zero limitations with an IMac. No clones, no virtual PC, no PC Emulation software. IMacs possess dual processors. If you are in a pinch, and need to run some of that nasty old PC only software, hold down a key when you power it up, and you've got a PC.

From Apple's HSOforum (I couldn't have written it better myself):

“I just can’t tell you how handy it is to be able to live in Mac OS X but have the flexibility to duck into the occasional Windows program without having to restart the Mac.”

The catch? IMacs cost a bit more. But they do more than any old PC ever could......

Jeesh, it's starting to sound like I work for them. I don't; I just wish I did.

Not a gamer here. The new Imacs outside of the basic unit do have dedicated graphics cards though not the high end sort. Seems if you're the hard core gamer type, especially if you compete on-line it turns into the up-grade-itis thing. First the 128 mg card, then the 256, 512,the faster cpu, more ram, pretty soon your up in the 4-5 thousand dollar range. Now that will buy alot of fishing gear!

I think a Mac is OK. One definite advantage, at least at present, is they are less targeted by viruses and malware. It's not that they are immune, just that the focus has been on the PC because they make up probably 90% of computers.

EDIT: Just read that the MAC OS market share hit roughly 4% in Nov. 2005.

I think one drawback of the Mac is less overall upgrade potential.