• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowhunting out of a boxblind or permanent stand?

esox49

Does anyone have any pictures or specs of a boxblind or permanent stand that they bowhunt out of? I am looking to build a couple of combination bow/gun stands in the spring and I need some help. I want to build them comfortable so my dad who getting up there in years can access them and gun hunt them. On the same token, I need to be able to bow hunt out of them also. Any suggestions?

If you build a platform stand with a ladder that should work for both. For the bow hunting as you know you will need the front pretty much open so you have no contact with your bow limbs. The other thing you could do is to build a box blind with a flat roof and then sit on top and do your bow hunting.

One more option might be to build a box blind with the front on a couple hinges which you could then drop and hook in place when bow hunting.

Great idea harvey lee. I have been thinking about doing something similar with my big game two man ladder stand. It has a very large platform and plenty of room for two if needed, which I like. But I can't very easily have the shooting bar down and a store bought blind around it for concealment if I want to shoot a bow over it.

Therefore, I'm going to make my own custom blind this winter/spring out of a a light two by two framework and a double layer of camo burlap.

In the front and on the sides, I'm going to have the framework set up so I can lower about a foot's width or so of burlap when a shot will soon present itself. I'll secure the whole thing to the platform with some wire or those plastic cable ties. And I'll design it so the top of the blind fits just below the shooting bar if I need to fold that down for support during gun hunting. Anyway, stand itself is rated for 500 pounds and I doubt the blind will add much weight, much, much, less then another person at least.

The burlap idea may work well as covers for the "bow windows" you could cut on wood box blind as well and would be fairly quiet as well. If you wanted to go all out, you could even install your own shoot through mesh windows by just buying some replacement screens for pop-up blinds from any sporting goods store.

Build the box big enough inside that you can be far enough behind the wall to draw inside of it. As long as you can easily enough clear the side while standing & build it tall enough you can stand, there's no problem. I shot a younger 8 pointer one year out of a permanent box stand, no roof, at about 15 yards. All that has to clear the side is the arrow the bottom half of the bow's then still hidden by the side. This is kind of a triangle stand built between three trees.