• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ground blind selection

moby1

I'm really happy that we've got a Cabela's, Gander Mt., Scheels and Fleet Farm near. I just got back in to bow hunting after 25 years away from it. I dropped $1500 on it which included an Ameristep Brickhouse TSC. I took it back after the first time out in 4 degree weather. It crackeled and the TSC windows not only didn't fit but they all cracked. I was in Cabelas in E Grand Forks and low and behold, in the Bargain Cave was my Double Bull Matrix 360 and I got it for $250.

First morning in it, 1 1/2 hrs. after sunrise, I had 3 does come up and stare at me long enough to get a good 25 yard shot off (da%#*n twigs!) The one I shot at ran off and the other 2 stayed looking at me. My arrow ticking on the rest (another topic I need to talk about) is the only thing that sent them off. I wish I would have waited on the shot to see how much closer they would have come in.

The idea is to wear black inside the DB to blend in to the material and keep the windows closed behind you. Set up a video camera outside of it and go into to it with the mesh up wearing camo then wear black. You'll see what I mean. It is no were near as loud setting up as the others either.

I like the idea of building a stand to set it up on. I find myself getting a neck ache looking out the windows. If I made it round I could just roll it from place to place. grin.gif

Can't wait til next season already!

Wow you got a deal on that DB!!!!! I also like that idea of building a stand off the ground and putting a blind on it and I would think, that you would have have to go very high. I'm with, can't wait till next season.

Quote:

Only one issue with placing a blind higher up in a stand. Will one be able to make a close range shot? Normally out of a ground blind one is shooting straight ahead. Will one be able to get that angle?

Good question. I'll have to put my DoubleBull on top of the old suburban (about 6' tall I think) and get up there to see how close a deer could get before the angle stops me. My three legged chair is comfortable but it could be about 4" shorter to be real comfortable on the neck when looking across a flat. Uphill would be very uncomfortable. I'm 5' 10".

Glad to see all the info coming back. I was also wondering about wearing camo or black. I had never thought of that but TimL mentioned wearing black. I guess any advantage a person can get. Well, so far in all my researching this issue here and other places, I have seen both bad and good reviews of most every blind with one exception. I have yet to have anyone say anything bad about any double bull. Can this be true smile.gif

To you double bull owners- Do any of you use the $249 Wild Thing Pack. Just curious. Even if I am lucky enough to finagle my way into a Double Bull, I couldnt afford one but they look pretty slick way to carry.

Quote:

One more thing. Are the DBs water resistant or waterproof?

I'm not sure how they advertise them but I sat in mine while it rained pretty heavily for 3 hours last Saturday and the only thing that leaked was the zipper on the top panel. It dripped just a little. Nothing that concerned me.

Quote:

Do any of you use the $249 Wild Thing Pack. Just curious. Even if I am lucky enough to finagle my way into a Double Bull, I couldnt afford one but they look pretty slick way to carry.

I'd like one but my better sense tells me NO until I find one used/whatever for $100. I bought a frame pack with a bag at Gander for $37 (on sale Reg $49) and it will be fine for now. I've hiked several miles with it and it works OK.

Let me know how the suburban experiment works out. I don't think you'd want to go much higher than 6 feet or so to make sure you can take close range shots.

My main thought behind getting that extra amount of the ground is that if a deer is somewhat close, say within 20-30 yards, you're getting above their normal field of vision. Also, I'm thinking it would be more difficult for a deer so see much through the mesh window when looking up at this angle. Say if you're sitting toward the back of the blind especially. Remember, you're adding an extra few feet of coverage from the bottom of the blind til the window(s), so any visible part of you is 8-9 feet above the ground now.

You might say well then why not just a treestand then? For me, it's a lot easier to sit in and move around a blind for an all day hunt, etc.

Another nice feature of a short platform would be to get yourself off of the ground in cold weather. Planting your feet on freezing ground all day without moving them much can do a number on your feet no matter how good your boots are. It would also mean you'd never have to rake debris out of the blind or worry about the condition or levelness of the soil.

I believe I'm going to try the six foot height after some experimenting of my own before construction.