• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2003 Yamaha Kodiak.. gas smell

MIKE IN lINO III

I don't use the wheeler that much but I've noticed a gas smell in the shed where I store it. I also noticed the over flow tube? from the carb is wet with gas. Why would gas be coming from the over flow tube? I have a 2003 Big bear with no problems.

What could this be?

Thanks,

Mike

Mine does it too on occasion(03 kodiak).. my guess its time to clean out the carb(I havent had to on this one yet). Something isnt seating properly once in a while. I notice it more while trailering the machine.. so I assume the float is sticking a little, or the needle isnt shutting off the fuel completely when the bowl is full.

I've had to replace needle & seats in quite a few Kodiaks & Grizzlys. Sometimes you can hit the needle with a little scotchbrite and it will seat up again. Turning the gas off when not in use also helps.

My kawasaki does the same thing. I'm guessing they know about it because the manual suggests shutting off the fuel if not in use. I agree it is probably a seat issue somewhere in the carb.

Bob

I've just gotten into the habit of turning the gas off on everything if I have the option. It beats a puddle on the floor or possibly gas in the crankcase. I haven't dealt with the Kawi's too much, but I'm sure the high quality gasoline we have availiable doesn't help.

Most of the Kodiaks have that problem. There used to be something on the web about it but I couldn't find it lately. Usually occurs if the ATV isn't used for a few months. When you turn on the gas it runs out the tube. Usually can be stopped with a sharp rap to the bottom of the carb. Yes, Yahama has a problem and they did have a kit to replace a Neddle and seat with one that wouldn't stick open. My brother in law had to bring his in and get it changed. I've managed to get by by banging on the carb.