• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Beginner questions

I tried this post in another thread, and got no responses, So I figured I would start a new one:

Anyone have any good suggestions for a book that would assist someone just getting started in photography? I purchaced a Nikon D50 with a 18-55 lens for my wife and she would like to learn the basics. I do think a telephoto lens is in our future, any suggestions on that one also?

Does somebody make a "photography for Dummies" that is what we are dealing with here.

Also any other suggestions for beginners? My wife really doesn't have any hobbies, so I hope she will stick with it and enjoy it.

Thanks a bunch.

Sparky I have will try to at least get you and your wife in the right direction. Does your wife know anything about the camera at all? Looking at the specs it seems to be a very nice DSLR that is capable of some very good quality shots. The first place would be to go to the local library and find any and all books that have any entry level photo info that would help your wife understand what some of those dials on her camera are doing when she moves them. When she starts to understand what ASA and Shutter speed have to do with each other than you might want to look at some books by Bryan Peterson like Understanding Exposure. Just to get her started she might want to set the camera to all automatic and just take some shots so she can have some fun and see the results. Maybe take some shots of the pets or go out and fool around taking shot of Christmas lights. When and if she has ? she can always ask here and someone will have a good answer here. Another place to get some good info is to google POTN and you will find a good photo web site that will have all your answers. Hope this helps crazy.gif

jimalm- Duh, what was I thinking! The library didn't cross my mind. Way better than buying when you can borrow. We aren't to far from the anoka county library. You know where we will be later this week. As for the sticky, I read that, not to sound like a dork, but a lot of technical terms, I need to implant them in my memory and learn to understand them. We bought the camera at ritz, and the salesman was very helpful as to how to use the camera, but we need to know what changing all of the setting will do for us.

Again, thanks for the library tip.....I really should have thought of that.

Sparky, you can also do a google search and find online how-to material that ranged from basic to advanced, and is mostly FREE. Lots of photo Web sites out there, and some offer that kind of stuff.

Anyway, shoot me an e-mail, Sparky, because I have found a pdf that explains all the basics, with photos and illustrations to help explain aperture, iso, shutter speed, etc. It doesn't deal with digital vs film, but it doesn't have to, because the basics are the same basics whether it's film or a digital sensor recording the light.

I just bought a D50 from National Camera, and it came with a free 1.5 hour class. I haven't taken it yet, but I plan to. The class would cost $40 if I hadn't gotten the coupon with the camera. They have 2 or 3 skill level classes for DSLR's. If I remember to I'll post up what I thought of the class. I also bought the book; The Ultimate Field Guide to Photography, from National Geographic. It has been written some of the Society's staff photographers. Good Luck