• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you could get another dog but.......

Snag

We have a Black Lab pup right now. And before we got her, I had to do a lot of talking to my wife to convince her to get a dog in the first place. Well low and behold, we have gone 22 weeks now with out new puppy, and she has simply fallin in love with her. Needless to say, just the other night SHE MENTIONED TO ME, that we should get another Lab next year. She wants a chocolate one. So I think that is the avenue we will take. You never argue when the wife suggests getting something associated with hunting or fishing.

Here's my 'new' breed showing off at 7 weeks old. The breeder took this short video clip on Monday, looks like the retrieving instinct is well intact!

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c248/labs4me/?action=view&current=chaseretrieveinhall.flv

Tomorrow's the big day! I'll be in Pennsylvania tomorrow watching the parents hunt and picking up 'Chaser'.

Good Luck!

Ken

Great topic. I have a wonderful Viszla that was just diagnosed with lymphoma unfortunately . frown.gif So, I have been forced to think about what's next. I'm not sure I could get another Viszla because none could be as cool as mine now.

I have young kids, hunt grouse a little, hunt pheasants a little and fish a lot. So the dog will mostly be a family pet, ride in the front of my boat and occasionally be asked to find me a bird or two...

Any suggestions for me to look into? GSP is already on that list.

OK. I would go with a field Springer Spaniel. I had a bigged boned 70lbs male Springer when I was a kid and wish I knew then what I know now about training. He would of been a GREAT dog instead of the good dog he was. He had tremendous drive, a desire to please, a great nose and a very strong desire to retrieve. Plus he was a great family and farm dog. He would hunt for anyone and anytime the neighbors(1/4 mile away) would go pheasant hunting they would just give him a holler and off he would go. Many many pheasents were killed over that dog.

I would go with a big boned, thick haired, Springer Spaniel.

I hunt a viszla. Great dog, I would definitely get another one. The wife loves the dog more then I do, and it has the highest drive to hunt I have ever seen. Will point, retrieve, and even gets me beer from the fridge.

Short hair dogs are the best too. No mud and little shedding in the summer time.