• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nightly lab puppy chaos

walleyemkr

My yellow lab pup is now 11 weeks old and his biting/chewing on wrists, ankles, feet, etc is DEFINITELY on the upswing in the last week or so! He seems to have an hour or so every night of these "puppy night crazies", trying to rip to shreds everything and everyone that he can latch on to. He has plenty of chew toys available, which he likes at every other time of day. The only thing I've found that works during this nightly chaos is to give him a smoked pig's ear (which works VERY well), but with the amount of fat in those, I've only been letting him have one for a half hour or so per night. He always seems to have one of these "episodes" after we return from our nightly hour long walk in the woods and then he eats supper - the full belly seems to really set him off! He does crash for the night afterwards though, suggesting that it's a bit of an "I'm tired" tantrum of sorts. He's a darn good and attentive pup 22 hours a day or so, but does not listen AT ALL during these nightly chaos sessions...no amount of shouting "NO!" seems to even phase him, but works well the rest of the day. Any thoughts / suggestions? Is this just a "puppy thing" that he'll grow out of as I am assuming it is? confused.gif

Our lab went through the samething. The only thing I can tell you is hang in there. Maggie did grow out of it. We just kept being consistant with giving her proper things to chew on and wore lots of longsleeve shirts to protect ourselves.

Maggie is not almost 5 and every now and then she still gets that look in her eye. She does not chew but will race around the house like a Tazmanian Devil. So glad I have invisible fence.

laugh.giflaugh.gif Makes me laugh remebering those days. All that means is you've got yourself a happy puppy. Just keep taking away what ever he happens to be chewing on with a firm "NO" and give him one of his chew toys.

Have fun

You will look back and miss these days in a year or so. They are only puppies so long so enjoy it. My female lab ruined two couches and chewed our railing bases. Hey, now we have new couches instead of my college house leftovers and the little teeth marks on the railings make me smile everyday now that she is a calm, well-haved three year old.

They will grow out of it. Thats the good news. Until then, you need to find a way to deal with it. I find when my puppy doens't listen I will use a "time out". I just tie the leash to a door knob and provide enough slack to allow him to lie down. He can have a chew toy but he has since learned that he gets off the short leash sooner if he mellows out. I have 2 younger kids and he has had to learn what is acceptable as far as interaction with the kids. This has worked well.

for those times when mine was totally unruly, she would get locked in her kennel with her rug and a chew toy for a time out. these times are a pain, but enjoy them. i put my lab down this spring. your problem brings back great memories!

My lab just turned 1. She used to go through this stage and I loved it. We would run around the house until both of us were tired and then go to sleep. I live in a college house so things are a little different than those of you with kids but the nightly craziness stopped when the spring came and I was able to tired her out outside by throwing dummies or playing tag in the yard. Now she just has "wet puppy time" which occurs after every bath. She runs around the house like crazy for about 5 minutes and then goes to sleep. Its hilarious.

My own opinion is to have fun and let puppy be a puppy for a little while. You will miss it when the pup grows up.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement! I've been using a bit of a "time out" method in the last couple days which seems to work OK, making him sit for 20-30 seconds (a long time for him at this stage - I don't want to start using his kennel as punishment, although I've definitely wanted to). Great to hear that this is normal "puppy chaos" like I thought it was... Sounds like I'll have to stay with the firm "NO!"s while licking my own wounds. He's very lucky he's still a cute little guy.

Thanks!

i wouldn't worry about using the kennel for time outs. your pup will in time use the kennel for security, as well as sleeping. course i use to lock my lab in hers' at bed time too. not so much for punishment, but for control.( and everyones' safety! grin.gif)my son has a scar on the inside of his left ear from my lab!!!

As everybody else has said, enjoy the pup while its young!!! And as you've probably already learned, anything you don't want chewed on should be out of reach!!! My three year old lab is already starting to get to the point of standing at the doorway watching me instead of following me everywhere... Enjoy the pup!!