• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need advice for buying used ATV

FWA

I'm looking to buy a used ATV ($3-$4k range) to use for plowing sidewalks around a commercial property (all 4 sides on a city block). I am mainly looking at ATV's with winches and plows on them already. From other posts that I have read, I know that a 350cc is the minimum, a low gear is helpful, and that 4x4 is a must. I've never owned or even rode an atv, so any and all help is appreciated. What should I be looking for and asking when I go and check out these machines? I noticed that NADAguides.com has values for ATV's. However, people still seem to price their ATV's higher than the NADA's value. What's the deal with that?

TIAcool.gif

Quote:

However, people still seem to price their ATV's higher than the NADA's value. What's the deal with that?

I have no idea, I was looking through the classifieds this weekend and there were ATV's that were more than 2-3 years that were priced the same as brand new ones! mad.gif I don't see my truck holding that kind of value, and I don't take that offroad. Good luck with your search.

Supply and demand...just remember to always make an offer...many times the seller forgets the age of the machine. You sound a bit "green" on ATV's...I would -recommend you secure some help from a trusted source on evaluating used ATV's.

I have a Polaris 600 Twin that does a great job plowing. My only dislike is that it steers a little hard...I think this is a tire issue.

Make sure you buy "enough power" or you will not be happy.

Nada guides are a joke 1/2 of the time. They seem high on automobiles most of the time(except when you get in an accident and need to make a claim), and dirt cheap on everything else including boats and ATV's.

I have an 03 kodiak 450 and a plow sitting here for it... ITS NOT FOR SALE, but if I were to sell it, I wouldnt take a dime under $3800, and I would hold out for low $4K range.. NADA probably says(havent looked) low $2K range for a value, but good luck ever finding another of that machine for the NADA value... it wont happen unless the replacement machine has been rolled down a mountainside and hasnt been repaired.

Quote:

You sound a bit "green" on ATV's...I would -recommend you secure some help from a trusted source on evaluating used ATV's.

I am as green as a new spring blade of grass when it comes to ATV's. I really don't know anyone who has one. I've lived in the city the majority of my life, so ATVing and anything related is totally new for me....

I have to agree with Kodiak, unless, you know the owner and how he/she takes care of their equipment. It can look like new, and still be beatin. I know a lot of trail riders that I would not take it even if it were free, let alone, buy a machine from, (I include myself on this bunch). Then again, I would not be asking for top dollar (or even close to) if I personally had a unit to sell, just because of the torture it had been put through.