• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recoil on an '80 Panther

Sergeant Slabber

Hanson~ You're dealing with a complete rookie here. I got this sled for free and I'm just trying to tackle the job if getting it to run again. Supposedly all that's wrong with it is the pull rope, and the gas line in the tank fell off or something like that. I took the thing apart, wound the new rope in there, and put it back together. What I found is that when I put the last piece on, which is like a little brass cover that gets nutted down over the bolt, it won't recoil. But when I have that off and pull the rope, it recoils great. I wondering if I'm doing something wrong with the way I'm putting that final little cover on. Any thoughts?

I'm still think you probably missed the preloading part.

All the little springs, dogs, and other little parts are to make those 3 little metal pieces engage the holes in the hub, and then they retract back in. So if you have all the parts in the right order and assembled right, you should be alright there.

Once its assembled, wind the rope around the recoil and hook it into that notch. The notch is evident in the diagram above just below the number 2. You then need to turn the recoil clockwise (I believe) a number of times until you feel the spring starting to give you some resistance. Once its getting hard to turn, unhook the rope from the notch and pass it through the hole in the recoil housing and either tie a big knot in it, or clamp a vise grip down on it. If you don't, the recoil will now suck the rope back in.

Once installed on your sled, carefully take the rope and pass it through the guides and fiberglass cowling and then tie the handle on.

Does that make sense at all?

I hate recoils. Word of caution: Be careful with that tightly wound coil spring. If you start pulling things apart without knowledge of how it works...you will be in for a surprise if the spring gives, and to rewind the spring is the worst job on a sled, IMO.

Ok I am running a 81 Panther and have been since both of us were new and shiny...the sled is still shiny. grin.gif

What you want to try is what Hanson was explaining. Pull the rope into the notch and "pre load" the spring. You want to spin the pulley the same way it would turn if you are starting the engine(Counter clockwise looking at the inside). Once you feel a LITTLE tensoin have a buddy hold the pulley or put a clamp on it and feed the rope through the hole. Releae the clamp then pull the rope out and make sure it retracts fully by itself.(Don't let go of the rope or you get to start over) If not give it a couple more wraps until it is just right.

If you just get clicking when you try to preload it the spring may have broke, this happend often on the 340-500cc Spirit and Suzuki motors. The rope breaks and the sping whips back without any resistance tearing the hook end off of the spring. OR it was asembled wrong.

Just for reference if the rope breaks on a recoil of that era it can be super easy. Put a clamp on the spool, tear it down removing the nut, washer and spring for room. Then you can reach in with a needle nose and pull the remaining rope out with having to get into the "jack in a box" spring. Feed the new rope in with a knot on the end and reassemble.

Quote:

If you start pulling things apart without knowledge of how it works...you will be in for a surprise if the spring gives, and to rewind the spring is the worst job on a sled, IMO.

LOL! Been there, done that!!

Alright guys, I got the recoil figured out this weekend, and yes, I did miss the whole pre-loading piece. Like I said, this is all new to me so I'm learning along the way. I never did see/find that little sring that is illustrated as #8. Anyways, now that that's out of the way I have another question. I had to fish the gas line out of the gas tank and hook it back up to the main line. There is a hole at the top of the tank that you feed the gas line through. My question is should that hole have like a rubber grommet or some sort of seal around it, or should it just be left a hole with the gas line sitting freely in it?

Congrats man! One step at a time and you'll have that sled mastered!

You are going to want to get that gas tank sealed up some how or you'll have gas splashing all over the place. If you can get a rubber grommet to fit, that would be good. A liquid gasket material that is gas resistant wouldn't hurt either.

Artic cat boo boo. No grommet present on some models and grommet present on others. best solution is to buy the grommet and shape the hole to fit. Unless you have the elbow style that is the best deal. 90* elbow with a hose barb on each end the grommet built in.

While we are talking gas tanks Sarge. Did you know that the Panther and other models within that era actually require not only running the oil injection but also mixing the fuel 50:1?

I learned it the hard way. If you look you may still have a sticker under the gas door stating this.

Of course I did not know that. I was actually looking at the oil tank on the side of the motor compartment there wondering what kind of oil I should even be putting in there. So you're saying I should use injection oil in the main oil tank? I also thought it was wierd that the oil check plug is on the bottom of the tank. What's up with that. Are you only supposed to have a teaspoon of oil in there grin.gif

Ok two oil tanks under the hood. One is the oil case for the chain drive, yes a very small amount of chain lube oil in that guy.

Then you have the Oil Injection tank up high on the right side of the engine PLUS they say to mix injection oil 50:1 in the gas tank also.

Does your rig look like this? (Minus the oddball seat)

img0909uo3.jpg

Yes, the sled I have looks very similar to yours. I still can find only one oil tank which is a fairly large vertical tank off to the side by the brake. I'm assuming that's the chain drive you're talking about. I don't see anywhere else to put oil. The engine does need oil right...or is that where mixing 50:1 comes into play. I also found a 90 degree elbow lying in the engine compartment which I think goes into the top of the tank where that hole is that I mentioned in an earlier post. I'm going to stick it in there, hook up the fuel lines and give that a shot.