• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ouch!

78cj5

I bought a new ATV a few weeks ago. Through the whole sales process, I was reminded to break the machine in at half throttle for the first ten hours and then get it in for the ten hour check up... Multiple times, "got to get it in for the check up" etc. Never a mention of cost...

Now I am well educated, but never through the whole process was there talk about a cost being attached to this "break in" check up, so I assumed (obviously wrong)and was led to believe that this was part of the deal.

I went to drop it off last night and they started to write up the order. The service guy writes in $309.00 plus parts. I inquired about it and he said, "I see you didn't buy the Gold Service membership" (Somewhere about $650 at time of sale) so it will end up costing you about $370 after parts and tax.

He showed me a list of the stuff they do including changing the fluids, sparkplugs, check the valve clearance, etc.

He brought up the Gold Service Plan three separate times.

I ended up loading the wheeler back into the trailer and brought it home with some lubes and plugs.

I can take care of everything except the valve clearance. How worried about this should I be? If it is something I need to address, I will have to reconsider that portion of it.

It's basically a lube change. I wouldn't worry about the "check up", but, that's my opinion. Change your fluids and call it good. I was stung on that "break in/check up" with an outboard several years back. We settled for half price since they didn't tell me it'd cost me when I dropped it off.

I am in a similar situation ( having 10 hours on my machine ( All I was told was to change the break in oil over to synthetic 0-40 weight oil and clean your air filter cover out and call it good. I never was told that the plugs would need to be changed so quickly. I have been reading the manual and don't see where the plugs need to be replaced that quickly either. If I am missing something more important here I would like some advise as well. I know these machines need maitance like anything else but unless you are sumerged in water or have your wheeler in the sand box you should just need to the basics ooo.gif.

Scott

That's how some dealers get the "good deal" out the door, eventually they get some money back. I'd agree with everyone else, change the oil/filter and if your really fussy (like me) change the diffs and transmission. I usually change all fluids (except coolant) in the fall. Depending on the model of your wheeler the valves don't need adjusting. I believe the polaris twins have hydraulic lifters??

Sounds like a Hitching Post deal?

I still have the original plug in my wheeler (2003 Honda), and plan on having the same one for a long time to come. Getting the plug changed after ten hours is as ridiculous as it would be to have spark plugs changed in your car at every oil change.

Changing the fluids is a good idea. Some of the stuff that comes from the factory looks more like water then oil sometimes. Valve adjustments 9 times out of 10 are still good at break-in service time. If you buy a manual and adjust them yourself a couple times you'll cover the cost of buying the book.

Worked on an old Honda last year, never adj the valves, wore the ends right off the valves and rockers. Expensive.

on my 02 gizz it was about 250 biggins, they did adjust one valve of the five. a waste of money for sure. I have 2600 miles on it and never changed the plug. oil and oil filter and cleaning of the air filter is about all that needs to be done.

I bought an 07 Kawasaki Brute Force 650 from HP.

I changed the rear diff fluid (looked pretty dirty), the front diff (looked like new) and the motor oil (didn't look too bad with no obvious fragements in the bottom of the pan).

I also looked at the plugs, but they were mint.

Cost me under $40.00

Quote:

dont worry about it, the valves are good.

Really? Probably true, but thats a pretty easy thing to say when its not your problem if it does need it. I've ridden Hondas a long, long time. Though they rarely require adjustment even after long periods, in my opinion the first adjustment is the most important one. Its also the time I have found they needed it moreso than after they have been done once. Breakin period is the most important time in the life of an engine. Things need to get seated, wear patterns started and any thing that starts off wrong is bound to have some effect later, probably well after the warranty periods ends. They do kind of gouge you, but if you cannot do it yourself I'd say get it done and leave chance out of the mix.

I found a small local retailer who charges about $125 for the valve adjustment portion of the check-up. I have read a few websites and I have decided that it is too labor intensive for me to do.

The jury is still out in my mind. I would love to do it, but everyone that I ride with have not done any valve adjusting, and luckily, I guess, none have had problems.

I do agree that the initial adjustment is probably the most important...

Quote:

everyone that I ride with have not done any valve adjusting, and luckily, I guess, none have had problems.

My personal experience is the same. I am on my 12th Honda ATV and ridden each one anywhere from 2000 to 6000 miles. (The early ones had no speedometer) I check the adjustment on mine once a year. More often than not they do not need it, but sometimes they do. What I have found, is those times were more often when they were new. It seems that once they are broken in they don't change much.

Anybody selling a brand new quads and not including the 10 hour or what ever check up with the sale will NOT EVER get my bussiness !!!!! they cost enough as it is !!!!

It's a SCAM in my book !! Make them compete for your sale

Just my .02 worth . I've owned 2 new ones in the past and never paid a dime for check ups....

Good luck Jeff

that is what i am saying you will pay to have them done and they will be ok and guess what you just shelled out tons of dough for nothing....i have had a lot of different power sports equipment and the only thing i wasted money doing valve checks on is my ducati.