• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Experiences with Brittany Spaniels?

ripper

I'm considering getting a French Brittany Spaniel. Can anyone give my their thoughts on them based on experience? Actually the dog will not be used for hunting (maybe a little) but just be a family dog in the house. I like their size and I'm told they are a fairly light shedder? I've hear they can be "hyper" but a couple breeders I've talked too say it's not true?

Why are you attracted to a French Britt instead of a regular Britt? In my mind they are the same thing except the Frenchie can have different coat colors. It seems to me either one would be a very nice dog if you did your homework up front. My guess is the French Britt would cost more.

I don't have any experience with french britts, but I have been around american britts for over 20 years and actively breeding them for 10 years. Are britts hyper? That is almost a loaded question. They are hunting dogs and being a hunting dog requires a certian amount of energy, If you excerise them properly (they need to run for 15 to 20 minutes a day, a walk on leash doesn't count) they are usally mellow. The are very smart and adjust well to family routines. I have 4 kids under 5 years old and every dog I own I would trust with the kids. If you have more specific questions feel to e-mail at kentucky_ike@yahoo (Contact Us Please)

I have done a bit of research on French Britts and plan on getting one when my current dog goes to the happy hunting grounds. From what I remember when the Brittany's were first brought over they developed into a slightly taller dog with differant hunting characteristics (not good or bad just slightly differant) Like others pointed out color has changed the american's have a lighter colored nose and black color in there coats has been eliminated from the breed. I think bottom line the French Britts are a little smaller, have darker colors, and tend to hunt a little closer to you in the field. Both are supposed to be great family/hunting dogs with proper exercise.

I hunted with 7 guys from minnesota this week, that had one dog for them. The little guy is probably the best small dog i have ever seen. He played with my grandsons after hunting, and was very good with them. CAJ

I have two American Britts. One pup and another almost 3.

Very good house dogs. Love to please. Older one is a very good hunter. It is really fun to hunt behind a pointer. It is kind of like ice fishing with a Vexlar. Your mind can wonder and you can talk with your buddy, but when the screen lights up or the dog goes on point, GAME ON!!!

I may be way off but most of the French dogs that I have seen have been a little smaller than the Orange brits. Most of the guys that I know that run French dogs are grouse hunters and most that run Orange dogs are pheasant guys. Again this may just be my own expereinces and if you guys say they are the same I will believe you. I have seen some really nice ones though, in the grouse woods and in the field.