• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reports from public pheasant opener

rundrave

Went out Saturday and did the whole public opener. First time for me as I usually hunt private land.

Im not sure I would go out and do this again. If it wasnt the first year for my dog(just turned 1yr) I wouldnt have gone out.

Didnt find a walk in that didnt have anybody on it until about 1:30. The first place we walked was up north of the flandreau area. It was pretty thick walking and tough on the dogs, a good work out though for next weekend.

We found 9 birds total(6 hens 3 roosters) Birds were very wild and flushed from far away. Part of me says that area had already been walked by the way the birds acted. We walked another area just to the east of there and didnt see a thing.

For the most part weather was perfect, and it was a good day to get the dogs out in the field and a little warm up of whats to come next weekend. I was actually surprised we saw any birds at all.

The one rooster we got was shot by a first time pheasant hunter and he got his first rooster ever. So there was success to be had regardless. Beer was drank and all in all it was a good day.

Any other reports. I cant wait until next weekend. Still waiting to get the first (wild)rooster over my dogs point. This saturday cannot come soon enough and hope the weather cooperates for us like it did this last weekend.

Oh, there were some harvested roosters for us on saturday. hunted up around the Britton area, 4 of us walked to sections of walk-ins and in roughlya hour and a half of hunting we bagged 8 roosters, should of had a few more, but someone forgot to sight his shotgun in this year!! We saw a fair # of birds and overall was very satisfied with the hunt.

A group of four of us took off Monday and went NW of Salem. No one was out on the two plots we hunted, got two and should have had three in 2.5 hrs. It was good to get out. I felt after the land had been pounded Saturday and Sunday it was a good outing.